Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to protect my CPU

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm going to be taking my Intel 2.8GHz Dual Core CPU out of my current computer soon, to put in my new case that I ordered, along with a new motherboard and power supply. My only concern is leaving the CPU around after I remove it, because surely I won't be able to remove it and install it in the new motherboard right away. Should I be worried about the CPU getting ruined if I leave it out too long? I didn't buy this CPU seperately, it came with a computer I had bought, so I don't have the protective packaging that usually goes on the underside.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
At the very least you want to put it in an anti-static pouch. CPUs are delicate and I woulnd't recommend leaving ti laying around.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 November 2007 - 03:13 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you are getting a new motherboard, then leave the CPU in the old motherboard until everything is ready to go, and swap them straight over. You say "surely" you can't do that, but why not?

When you pull the new motherboard out of the box and anti-static bag, sit it on top of the box and put the processor in straight away. Then you can move the new motherboard (with CPU) into the new case :)