Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is this illegal

• Please log in to reply

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
First of all, if this belongs in other forum then please move it to the correct forum. Sorry for the inconvience.
Ok my question is, is it illegal to download a copy of windows XP disk when you have purchased a cd key? What I mean is that I bought a disk once and now I lost it except the CD Key. It's it illegal to download it install it?
If not, my 2nd question is, can I still do a windows update with that downloaded version of XP without problems? This may sound stupid, but I just want to know. Thanks in advanced.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is an iffy question. When you purchase a copy of Windows it is the CD key that you are paying for. I'm not totally sure of the legalty of downloading a copy in your situation.

We usually recommend that you borrow a CD from a friend. Ask around work, someone surely has one...

Edit: As long as you use a legit CD key then Windows update will function correctly, otherwise Windows will lock up once it gets around to its new validation checks.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 November 2007 - 03:29 AM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There is no legal place to download Windows. No, if you use a pirated version of Windows, no updates are available. Your best bet is to locate your valid XP CD.
Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i concur....it is not technically illegal to download the XP install disks...HOWEVER you will be hard pressed to find an actuall legit XP disk anywhere for download...most if not all of them will be cracked in some way and alot of them will be filled with "extras" that you don't want (such as viruses and malware)

another option would be to DL the setup disks from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994 of course...these are to be placed on 6 seperate floppy disks...not CD's....they haven't had the forethought to put the ISO image of the actual CD up yet (why...i don't know)

the easiest way would be (as said already) to find a friend that has a version of XP that matches the version your key is for and just copy their disk

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Actually, if you registered your XP install and you were using a retail XP cd, all you need to do is call Microsoft and they will ship you a new cd for a very nominal fee. Last I heard it was the cost of shipping only.

You may have to give your product/key code as proof but that is minor.

Murray

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yea it's just sorta weird. I mean you did pay for the thing, but downloading it off the Internet mean its pirating. Anyways I guess I'll have to get a disk somewhere.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Deviatorz,

You can Call microsoft with your CD key tell them your story see what they are able to do.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

There is no legal place to download Windows. No, if you use a pirated version of Windows, no updates are available. Your best bet is to locate your valid XP CD.
Johanna

That was not needed information.

Edited by Murray S., 22 November 2007 - 10:04 PM.