Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you set or find time & date on computer

• Please log in to reply

Zayness

Zayness

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
For some reason my laptop won't accept any certificates - says they are expired even though they are good until 2011 and also nothing is running right this morning. Worked fine last night. Trying to find the date & time - went to try to system restore to a prior date & no dates there at all??? I have used before & there were dates previously. What is up with my laptop? Please help.

Advertisements

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok doh - lol - i found the date & time (umm clicked time at bottom right of computer) cracking me up how stupid am i - sorry

anyway the time is right, the month is correct & day but won't let me set the correct year?

Zayness

Zayness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
ok got the year to enter in finally - computer doing weird things though - why would the date go from 2006 to some number like 16724 when i never did anything to it. What is up with my computer? Thanks.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What kind of laptop do you have? It could be the CMOS - a special kind of memory that hold important information about the way your laptop is set up. It could also be some sort of malware. But malware isn't my specialty, so I would go over to the Malware section of the forum and follow their instructions and post a HijackThis log.

In the meantime, does your date/time change every time you reboot the computer? Does the date/time change in the middle of a session? Is there a particular time or set of circumstances under which your date/time reset?