Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor without VGA connection

• Please log in to reply

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi,

A couple of days ago, I ordered a VGA cable to connect my 360 to my monitor. Foolishly, I didn't check my monitor before ordering it as I
was pretty sure it took VGA input! But now, after the VGA cable has arrived I can't plug it into my monitor, as it only accepts a different type of cable.

I have a Xerox XA7 Series 17" LCD Monitor [Click for Spec.].

So, the type of cable it uses isn't a VGA cable, I'm not sure what kind of cable it is, I have a picture below and maybe the specs will say but i'm not really sure. I need to plug in a VGA Cable.. Is there any way I can get around this by buying some sort of convertor or something?

Picture:
http://img260.images...nitor005tf4.jpg
This picture is the back of my monitor, where I was expecting a VGA port but there's a different one there. Not sure what it is.

Thanks,

Stealth

Edited by StealthSoul, 20 November 2007 - 11:22 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I am quite puzzled here... All the literature I can find indicates that your monitor does have a VGA port. But if it doesn't, as you say, it should have a DVI connector. You can easily find a DVI/VGA adapter.
Hint: The VGA port is blue, and the DVI is white. Are you sure you don't have a VGA port?
Good luck!

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have DVI on one end, where i'm plugging it into the graphics card (It's the white one, plugging into a blue one. DVI --> VGA adapter), But i'm talking about the monitor side, and on that side there is a different type of port (as you can see if you click the link for the picture)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I cannot see much from the picture. I see the AC power plug, but not much else. Can you describe the ports you do see on the back of the monitor?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
See the plug next to the AC power cord, That's the only other thing there. I can't pull it out, I just tried so I can't see what its like.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
What is on the other end of that cord?
And are there no other ports on the back side of the monitor? (Sorry for the questions... I can't seem to find good pictures anywhere!)

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Those are the only ports on the back of the monitor. And I tried looking at the other end, I unscrewed the hinge thing off the monitor and I saw some sort of screw type thing, want a picture? I couldn't seem to pull the wire out.

Edit: The pictures actually made it more clear to me, see for yourself:
http://img513.images...itor2010pn2.jpg

Edited by StealthSoul, 20 November 2007 - 11:44 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Okay. So on this monitor, you have an AC plug, where you connect the power, right? Next to that is a cord, coming out of the monitor. What is on the end of that cord? Not the end inside the monitor, but the free end.
There should be a sticker on the back of the LCD with some sort of product number (XA7-***). Can you give me that number?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
http://img513.images...itor2010pn2.jpg

Theres whats there. On the back:

Product No: XA7-19i
Model No: 900P

-- By the looks of it, I won't be able to take this thing out. Is there an alternative that I could use, I want to be able to hook this to a VGA cable. Maybe some DV convertor that lets VGA cables go inside it?

Edited by StealthSoul, 20 November 2007 - 11:49 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
StealthSoul, I need to know what is on the other end of that cord. I am not worried about what is inside the monitor, but what is on the end of that cord. If you follow the cord from the monitor, you should find either a white or blue plug. Can you tell me which?
Don't worry about the inside of the monitor. You can't remove any components there.

Advertisements

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

StealthSoul, I need to know what is on the other end of that cord. I am not worried about what is inside the monitor, but what is on the end of that cord. If you follow the cord from the monitor, you should find either a white or blue plug. Can you tell me which?
Don't worry about the inside of the monitor. You can't remove any components there.

The monitor has a lead going to the computer, into the graphics card. Its a DVI lead, and it plugs into a DVI -> VGA adapter, (White --> Blue).

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So that is your VGA cable. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you... what is the problem?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
XD See, what I bought was a cable which plugs into my xbox and then plugs into my PC Monitor. This has a VGA cable on one end and the other end plugs into the xbox. Now, what I thought was that I plug my VGA cable into my monitor. But, my monitor has no VGA port. Am I doing this all wrong?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So I'm guessing you want to be able to run both the xbox and the computer off of the same monitor? Or just the xbox?

StealthSoul

StealthSoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Both.. I wouldn't mind changing the plugs each time though.

Edit: Just looked on the xbox website, And I found this:

"Connect the VGA connector on the VGA cable to the VGA port on the monitor.
Note: The monitor may not have a VGA port, or you may need an adapter. You may have to purchase additional equipment to connect this cable. "

What i'm basically looking for is the "additional equipment".

My brothers monitor has a VGA port in it and it works fine, I just want to know if theres an alternative way that I could do this on my monitor.

Edited by StealthSoul, 20 November 2007 - 12:20 PM.