Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory

• Please log in to reply

Windy2

Windy2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am planning to build a moderately priced system which I will use primarily of for photo editing in which I would like to have 4GB of RAM. Would I be better off to get 2 DDR3 or 4 DDR2 sticks?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is questionable but only because it is highly unlikely that you will need more than 2GB even with gaming. DDR3 really is not practical due to it's insanely high cost, standing at much higher than double the cost of DDR2. Right now I wouldn't even recommend it for an extreme gaming PC. The performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 is small. You might get better performance with it just because you will probably never cap out that 2GB to begin with. That performance gain will most likely be unnoticable.

Anyways, go with the 4GB of DDR2.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
if you have 32bit vista, it can only recognize ~3.25GB RAM.

PS: Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Edited by jackflash1991, 20 November 2007 - 02:54 PM.