Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot in any mode

• Please log in to reply

novato48

novato48

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi,

I was looking around in some files last night and I think something got changed that shouldn't have.
Now when I boot the computer I get a screen that says, " A problem has been discoverd and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

It then gives a number of boot options, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe with command prompt, last known good config,..etc

I have tried all the choices and after each time I get a blue screen that flashes, " A problem has been detected and ....
Check for viruses...Remove newley installed HD or HD controllers. Check HD to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for HD corruption and then restart." (Error 0x0000007B OxC0000034) The computer then goes back to pick your boot choice. Vicious cycle.

I have a boot disc that I have used in the past and when I tried that I got an "invalid boot.ini file" mesaage.

Where should I go from here.

All help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello novato48,

Microsoft has the following knowledge base article about this issue:
Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP

It is pretty exhaustive, but based on what you were doing last night, maybe you can zero in on the possible solution from the options available. Hopefully you weren't deleting any files you shouldn't have. :)

Regards,

Ax

novato48

novato48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi AX 238,

I have reviewed Q324103 and I can eliminate boot viruses. I had scanned for them with AVG, Spybot, Adaware, and Norton yesterday, and found nothing. The scans were before the problem started but after I had finished surfing the web for the day.

For couple of the other issues, including device driver, hardware, and corrupted registery issues, I need to get at least booted up to explore further the problem and do any possible repairs or restores.

I have tried the CD I have, and a boot disc but I can't get the machine to boot. Do you have any other suggestions that might be helpful?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Novato48

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Are you able to get to the recovery console? Here's how you can if you aren't sure:
How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

If you can get to it, run the CHKDSK /F command.

You could also try following these instructions:
"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

Failing the above, you may want to try resetting your BIOS settings. You can do this yourself, but you'll be required to open the case:
  • Shut down the computer and disconnect the power plug.
  • Locate, if possible, the instruction booklet for your motherboard. If you cannot locate the booklet, let me know the make/model of your computer. You may also want to closely examine the motherboard itself.
  • Now identify where the battery is located on the motherboard. It will be approximately 1/2 inch in diameter.
  • Normally these batteries are held into place with one or more small clips over the face of the battery. Carefully lift the battery out of its socket and set it aside. Note: Some batteries are actually soldered to the motherboard, so take that into consideration and be careful.
  • Leave the battery our of the computer for about 20 to 30 minutes and then return it to its socket.
  • Now plug the power cord back in and restart the computer.
  • When the computer begins it's startup (boot) process, tap the DEL, F10 or F1 key, (whichever is appropriate for your computer) to get into the Bios/CMOS setup.
  • Once into the Bios/CMOS setup, look for a section or area to set the Bios/CMOS to its default settings. This will return the motherboard to either its basic or optimum settings depending upon the motherboard manufacturers settings. You will then need to verify certain settings, such a CPU and memory as well as hard drive type and size recognition.
  • After making any final adjustments, save your settings and restart the computer. The Bios should be set to its optimum settings.
Regards,

Ax

Edited by Ax238, 21 November 2007 - 11:39 AM.

novato48

novato48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Ax238,

I am going to download, and burn an iso file, of the recovery console, from RC.ISO. If that boots then I can try and install the recovery console.and try your recommendations.

My gut feeling, and this is not based on advanced user knowledge because I am not advanced user just curious, but from reading Q324103, is that I some how corrupted the registry from going into files I shouldn't have or it is device driver issue.

Whatever it is thanks for the help and I'll get back to you and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again for your help.
Novato48

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, I'll just wait to see what happens on your end.

novato48

novato48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Ax238,

I managed to run the recovery console and made a few repairs.

Thanks for your help.

Novato48

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Great to hear, glad I could help!