Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SLOOOW....Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

blondie322

blondie322

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys!
My system is running very, very, slooooow. I am wondering what I have running that I might can close out. My computer is old but I am running a new version of XP.....Can anyone help me? Btw what is swdsvc.exe?

Thanks!!!!
:)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How old is old?

swdsvc.exe = Part of Spyware Doctor.

blondie322

blondie322

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's like 5 years old....I crashed it about 3 years ago and someone on here was nice enough to help me get it back up and running...I'm planning to get a new laptop after Christmas but I was going to try and clean this one up and give it to my mom.

It's just sooooo slow that it takes me about 20 mins after I reboot to get everything back up and running. It's been slow but it hasn't been this slow. I used to be able to restart and everything would start back up....Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Basic system maintenance calls for cleaning, defrag, checkdisk, and 'scannow.'

For cleaning, I like ATF: http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/
(Stand alone-no install)

Defrag- JkDefrag: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/ Also stand-alone.
Download and un-zip. All that is needed is JkDefrag.exe. I suggest that you move it to an internal directory folder and put a shortcut on the desktop because it creates a logfile. It overwrites the log each time, so there is only one, but still... Ugly as sin, and as effective as it is ugly.
Works on very full drives and defrags everything but the page file.

Checkdisk is run from "My Computer." Right click the entry for your local disk (C:\) and open Properties. Select the Tools tab and press the button that says "Check Now." Place a check mark in both little boxes and then click Start. Windows will explain that it can't be done right now, but do you want to schedule it for the next boot? YES! Reboot.

This will take some time, so do it when you are ready to wait 15min to half an hour. When done, Windows will boot normally.

"Scannow" is a Windows self-check. All necessary files will be examined, and if any are missing it will ask for you to insert the XP CD. Do so when requested, and tell Windows to "Retry" as often as it asks until the process is complete. This means that for this one you need to be present the whole time.

No matter what the situation, these procedures will help. Will it be magic?
Maybe not, but eliminating these factors will help us focus in on the system's issues.

For general help with control of background and startup processes, I suggest that you take a look at my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/
I'm sure that much will be familiar, but I've included web addresses of useful tools and informational sites that help users gain control of their systems. The 'links' are not 'live,' so copy and paste the URLs to your browser address bar to access the referenced pages.

I will be very interested to hear about your progress.