Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building My First Rig - Need Advice

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
RAID 0 is reasonably easy to set up, but you need two hard drives (or more). The only problem with it - if one drive fails, you lose the data on both drives.

Now for my thinking behind the suggestion: For a video editing PC, you need two things - Horsepower (CPU) and HDD space/speed. Because running a RAID 0 will allow for more space and speed, it looks like this would be a good way to go.

So my suggestion (and thinking) is primarily based on whether this ZBrush program (and what you do with it) could be classified as "video editing". From your descriptions, it sounds like it could be.

Also, what you usually do in a "video editing build" is run the OS and applications of a single hard drive, and then have your RAID 0 drives separate, for use on the videos and editing. This way, if one drive fails, hopefully you won't lose everything :) And for complete redundancy of your OS drive, you could run it in a RAID 1.

Advertisements

SalmonGod

SalmonGod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ZBrush is a 3d sculpting/painting application... it's known for pushing polygon counts into the 10's of millions on a single object... hundreds of millions on multiple objects or scenes... the result is a 'digital clay' that can be sculpted with a brush... they combine this ability with techniques borrowed from or inspired by 2d painting apps... it's mainly used for creation of "hero" objects for exporting into other 3d apps or constructing illustrations completely within ZBrush (which is mostly what I do)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your better off to get 1 good drive instead of 2 worse drives.
RAID 0 only provides performance increases for synthetic benchmarks, not real world use.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 November 2007 - 08:43 PM.

SalmonGod

SalmonGod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have one last question about this motherboard... the specs list "Memory Standard" as DDR2 1066

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128066

is this the minimum type of memory that can be installed on the board, or just what it is optimized for?

will I be able to put DDR2 800 memory on this thing?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You can use anything downwards, I'd suggest 800MHz as it's more or less standard now.
James

SalmonGod

SalmonGod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm going to finish ordering everything tonight

thanks for the help everyone :)