Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overheating?

• Please log in to reply

darko2021

darko2021

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
It all started when my computer started beeping at me when ever I would copy video onto my HD. Since then I have cleaned all the dust out of the case and heat sink, and although the beeping has stopped, I am noticing a significant decrease in performance especially when I am encoding video and running itunes at the same time. Speed Fan is telling me that my CPU is at 59C at idle and my core is 49C at idle and it's making me worry that I could be damaging my computer if I run to many things at once. Do you have any suggestions? Would it be smart to buy a new heat sink? any help you might have would be great, thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If the heat-sink and fans are the same ones as when the PC was new (ie haven't been replaced with ones not up to the job), it could simply be a case of heavy dust-accumulation inside the system box. Disconnect from mains and carefully investigate. Check that all fans are working by plugging the PC back in and switching on for a few seconds, as sometimes a fan can fail, they don't last forever. Carefully use a vacuum-cleaner with a plastic crevice-tool attached to remove dust and gunge from the air-intake/exhaust grills and from around the fan casings (a plastic crevice-tool remember -- don't touch computer components with metal attachments). Replace any broken fans with a new fan of same or higher performance. Re-assemble PC and test temperatures again, compare readings with what you were getting before.