Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc is shutting down

• Please log in to reply

LATIN

LATIN

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok here is the problem lately i have left my pc on and when ive woken up it has turned it self off and when i look it over the power button light is orange and its usually green anyways it happend to me a few secounds ago to while i was on can some one please help me i do not know whats causing this

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Orange power light on the front of the PC (instead of the usual green) usually means the PC has put itself into 'standby' mode, and this behaviour can be altered in Control Panel (classic view)->Power Options. Under the 'Power Schemes' tab you can click the drop-down arrow to select 'Presentation' and click 'OK'. The PC should no longer put itself in 'Standby' mode when left unattended.
However, the standy mode is intended to save electricity as well as uneccesary wear and tear on the moving parts of the PC (eg hard-disks and fans), so you should think carefully before disabling it.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
thank you for your help there pip22 it is really apeaciated hopefully it was that but i have a feeling ill be back on this topic cause it sounds like a shut down when it happends but it has the orange light andways ill be back if it does to that thanks again Cheers

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
ok im back and its doing the same thing shutting down and leaving the orange light on there was a few times when it kept rebooting it self then shut down im thinking its a virus or something like that in effect or something corrupt in the system please help i ran i few virus scans but nothing came up hope to hear from someone

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
can someone please help thank you

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
How old is your motherboard? The battery might have been dying.

Try to connect the hard drive to another PC, as some viruses, trojans/spywares usually do this. W32.Blaster.Worm was the first one, Sasser was the second.

I strongly believe you got a malware.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
the motherboard if about 7 or 8 yrs old if it is the battery what kind does it take so i can replace it

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Just take a look inside the computer. On the motherboard, you'll easily find the battery enplacement. Carefully get that out, and buy a new one in a local computer store. Should be working wit' some luck.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the make and model of your computer? If you built the system yourself just say custom.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
its a gateway thats all i can tell you

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Latin,
Do you have your manual for your system?

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
im sorry for the late response tuxmaster i have been getting help on here to clean out my cousins laptop to type at the moment cause mine keeps shutting down thats what im using no i don't have my manual lost it quiet some time ago ok heres the run down on my pc ok this started about maybe 2 weeks ago i use to leave my pc on when i headed to bed well when i woke up i noticed it was shut well i thought it was a power fail around the neighborhood to i brushed it off but then it kept happening well just resent like it started doing this while i was on it and like i said it had the orange light on i would try to reboot a few times then shut down and the orange light was there and also it would take me to a black menu that has safe mode,safe mode with promp and normal start up lately also i have been getting errors to on IE and when im shutting down windows i was also doing a scan in panda to but IE crashed

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
LATIN ,

The color codes for the Power LED are spacific to system. They could indicate a problem with the mainboard. Mostlikely not the power supply but possibly so. They could also mean something completly diffrent I am only familuar with dells color codes (the systems that I repair most). The manual will tell you what the code means. But what you can do is remove parts one by one down to the mainboard and CPU. Try to turn it on see if the color changes on the power light. Then plug in parts one by one and see if the power light changes if not then it is ither the Powersupply or the mainboard or CPU. Likelyhood of the CPU is low so you can Get a Power supply tester test the Power supply. Then determine what part needs to be replaced.

If you are not convertable with any of that you can take it to a local repair shop. Or call Gateway.

Edited by tuxmaster, 04 December 2007 - 06:39 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
When asked what kind of computer you had, you said "it's a gateway thats all i can tell you". There must be a model number on it. Having that would allow us to find the manual for it online which could then help in determining what the power problem is.

Can you look carefully at the laptop and look for the Gateway type and model number then post than information here?

Thanks.

LATIN

LATIN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
well ztruker the pc i am talking about is a desk top the one im typing on is a laptop but thats a separate thing and separate issue tht is getting fixed on another part of the forum i am talking about my own desk top to my knoledge desk tops dont have the modle info on this do they