Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 - endless reboot! HELP PLZ

• Please log in to reply

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i reformat using the windows xp cd.
reformatting thru command prompt was way before my day and i have no idea how to do it. ^_^

and i dont have a floppy drive installed, or a windows 98 boot disk.

actually, i do have a floppy drive lying around...

but in answer to ure question i am formatting thru the windows xp home edition cd.

Advertisements

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi major payne
thx for the links,

however, i dont have any umax scanner or actually any unnecesary harware or drivers for the hardware installed on my computer.

also, the bsod doesnt report a driver conflict, so ive sorta given up on driver testing.

i do have a sound card that i disabled instead of installing drivers for it prior to the sp2 install. but now i cannot install drivers for it because thx to some "kernel32 de/bugger issue" it wont let me run the cd in my d: drive.

and gerry is there a way i can make a windows xp cd with sp2 integrated. the computer im using right now (which by the way has the exact same motherboard as the other) has windows xp w/ sp2 installed. if i can make an image file that could be used to make a bootable cd... then that would be awesome.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
easiest way

http://nuhi.msfn.org/

That program makes it automatic...no knowledge required....all you need to do is use your cd and download the redistributable sp2

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
im kinda lost on what im supposed to do here

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
once you've downloaded the sp2 redistributable, we can get started...I''ll walk you through..

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
well i downloaded nlite
and then i downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers

what next?

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
man, hard drive problem on this rig, driver problem on the other. i swear this has to be an asus problem.

grrrr

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Just saw the other thread....wondering the same thing myself

btw, they just might be freaking related! You've been holding out on us !

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step1
Create a temp directory in your root if it is not already there, called c:\temp, Drag the xpsp2 redistributable file there, leave the window open (do this because it makes the path statement shorter)

Start Nlite, click next, then click integrate service pack and create bootable iso, then next. Nlite will ask you for the windows installation files. Put your dell cd in, point to it, Nlite will ask you for a place to store the files temporarily, and give you an option to select or create a new one....I create a new one, c:\temp2.

(this way I can just throw everything out at the end).

Nlite will start copying files...get some coffee.
when it finishes, hit NExt.

Nlite will ask you for the location of the service pack for integration...point it to the c:\temp directory and choose the file. Nlite will extract and slipstream the files.

time for more coffee

Nlite will eventually tell you it is done slipstreaming....click OK, click NExt

It will then ask you to create an isolabel--you can call it anything. (like XPSP2)

Leave the additional attributes as they are, hit next, click Make ISO button, tell it where (desktop), click save. WNlite makes you an iso.

Download the ISOBurner Powertoy for whatever machine you are working on (there is an sp2 and sp1 version)

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

install, reboot

right click on the ISO you made earlier, choose Burn.

You now have an xp sp2 cd with you can install windows from and not have to mess with adding the service pack

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
hi gerry i couldnt get the xpsp2 cd to boot.

when i use the isorecorder (the newest build) i still get the same error that it describes on the website (0x8004020e) that was supposed to be fixed, and so the cd never even begins to record. The computer system that i tried recording the cd on does have sp2.

so i tried using nero to make the cd, and although i did succeed in making the cd, for some reason the xpsp2 cd's (i tried two times so i have two dud cd's) wont boot, nor can i see the content of the cd thru windows.

also im going to try the hard drive replacement when i go home to my parents' place over the weekend, because i ordered a new hard drive for my sister, and will try testing it on mine, before i install it on hers.

so yea, i guess if that doesnt work, ill come back to you for more help on trying to get this bloody sp2 integrated thing all setup.

Anyhows, thanks for you time and patience in helping me with my pc problems.

Kalian

Advertisements

vaqueton

vaqueton

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:tazz:

OK I have the same problem with my Evo Laptop. I have reformatted three times, 1st time updated everything except sp2, got the same endless restart. Second time updated a critical fix (ends in 626) supposed to fix the bios, same result, endless reboot. This third time I am running with no updates, spyware or virus protections. Hos did you fix yours????

Kalian

Kalian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
i replaced the hard drive. but before you do that....

do this,

"In safe mode, right click MYCOMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES< ADVANCED > STARTUP AND RECOVERY, Settings button, UNCHECK AUTOMATICALLY RESTART so we can see the STOP error"

after you reformat.
then tell us the error. if it says something like
unmountable_boot_volume

then its a good possibililty a hard drive error is there. but before you replace you're hard drive you should do all disk checks and all that other stuff.

just follow this post all the way thru. gerry pretty much walked me the whole way.