Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu randomly pops up when typing

• Please log in to reply

Brundirks

Brundirks

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Whenever I am typing the start menu just randomly comes up. Im not hitting the windows key and there doesnt seem to be any specific keys that cause this. Its not a mouse issue either. Its really frustrating to be typing a paper and then you see you are typing in the start menu search feature all of the sudden. Why is this happening? Any help is appreciated.
Im running Vista Home Premium.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I'm not sure, but you may have, somehow, 'triggered' the search box in start:

Search box: Conveniently placed directly above the Start button, this area lets you find files by typing a bit of their contents — a few words in an e-mail, a document, a band name, a program’s name, or anything else. Press Enter, and Vista quickly dredges it up for you.

Brundirks

Brundirks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm not sure, but you may have, somehow, 'triggered' the search box in start:

Search box: Conveniently placed directly above the Start button, this area lets you find files by typing a bit of their contents — a few words in an e-mail, a document, a band name, a program’s name, or anything else. Press Enter, and Vista quickly dredges it up for you.

Thanks for the reply. How could I have triggered it? Im just typing. Is there a hotkey combination I dont know about?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I don't know unless you inadvertently made one.

Have you done anything like this for any programs?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237179

Brundirks

Brundirks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, I just bought the computer 3 months ago and I dont know enough about computers to change anything like that.