Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 4 Do I need to reinstall dx9

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hello. I recently was on this site and got amazing help from Malware removal expert and he successfully got rid of all my virus's so I am hoping I may get some excellent help with this problem. I currently use an EVGA Geforce 7600gt graphics processor and I have one gigabyte of ram and I have a Pentium 4 processor 3.4 Ghz(Im pretty sure). Anyways I purchased call of duty 4 and got through about 5 games with no problems on medium settings. Then however, for some reason, every time I would load a multilayer map it would get about half-way and then fade and then completely stop loading. Most of the time It would just close the game and get an error like "Direct x has encountered an unrecoverable error". Other times, the loading would stop and then and then just not do anything and one time it closed explorer.exe. I was wondering if I needed to reinstall DX9 or a newer version or if their is something I need to change. Thanks.

Edited by georgewashington16, 21 November 2007 - 05:12 AM.

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I could suggest a few things to do here;

-Try playing the game on low settings and seeing if anything happens then (no AA /no AF e.t.c)
-Update/or re-install drivers for your gfx card
-Reinstall directx9
-See if there are any problems running any other games
-Re-install whole game
-Check COD4 support see if there are any patches/forums that can help.

A few things you could check there hopefully that should eliminate the problem.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
When I ran the game on Low for everything the game ran fine. However, as soon as I turned on some of the settings like glow, and High Dynamic Ligting the game would crash. However, I know my 7600gt and 1 gig of ram can run everything on low except for High Dynamic Lighting because before I did it before. I think the problem is I must have done something wrong with a project I was working on on the computer and I must have screwed up some drivers or registry things. Am I able to just simply uninstall dx9 and if so how do I do it. Thanks.

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
It is possible to re-install dx9,

http://www.directx9soft.info/uk/

Should go to add/remove programs or show all windows updates something like that and dx9 should be there simply uninstall it and re-install it. The only thing is you have no problem using everything on low if there was a problem with dx9 it would more then likely not allow much to happen or ruin all gaming no matter what settings your on....and one final question what 'project' was this?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello,

I had this same problem too.

All I did was install the following and it fixed my problem.

DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 26 November 2007 - 10:55 PM.