Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Graphics card to run Crysis smoothly?

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Can anyone recommend a good graphics card to play the game crysis?

I have a 3.4ghz processer and 2gig of RAM. My current graphics card is a NVIDIA, GeForce 6600 GT 128 mb. It runs very crappy on that when i increase the graphic levels. I want to be able to run this game smoothly with high graphics.

I was think something like a NVIDIA 8800 GT ? around 768 MB or something. Any one agree with that?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the 8800gt is an excellent video card. Just one question, is your system pci-express?

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
yes it is

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Crysis is a DIRECTX10 game therefore needs a dx10 gfx card such as starjax mentioned the 8800 is a perfect model for running this game, the tech spec of all dx10 card are

-128mb or more
-Pixel shader 2.0
-32 bits per pixel
-WDDM (windows display driver model, driver designed for vista systems)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Then your in good shape. Not only will this be a good video card for Crysis, but should last you for a while.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I have a 3.4ghz processer

What kind is it? Is it AMD, Intel, Core 2 Duo, Pentium 4? Because to run Crysis at a good frame rate you need at least a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo.

In fact my Pentium D 3.0 GHz is not enough and I am in the process of upgrading it for the game.

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 November 2007 - 03:00 PM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
its a Pentium 4. Also you do not Need DX10 to run it. If you have Dx10 you get better detailed graphics. The game can be run by dx9 as well. Its just that you dont get as detailed graphics

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

its a Pentium 4. Also you do not Need DX10 to run it. If you have Dx10 you get better detailed graphics. The game can be run by dx9 as well. Its just that you dont get as detailed graphics

True, but the main motive for me wanting to play the game is the awesome graphics.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
yeh. Would be nice. But im not prepared to spend all that money on upgradng to vista and then ill need to upgrade everything else for other games to run nicely to play 1 game lol. Id prob get it in the future

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 8800gt comes in two flavors: a 256mb one and a 512mb one. You can't get it with 768mb.

While this card is great, it will definitely be severely bottlenecked by your CPU... :)

Advertisements

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
so you think i need a more powerful cpu as well?

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Probably. Crysis is more CPU intensive then it is on the video card. I have an 8800GTS 640MB, so the card is not that much of an issue for me but I only have a Pentium D. Because of the Pentium D I can only play the game on LOW and it is still choppy.

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 November 2007 - 12:10 AM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
well, i can play the game on low at the moment. With my crappy Geforce 6600gt and it runs fine. If i put it on medium its choppy. If i put it on High its unplayable. I guess ill try it out with just the card. If it is not running as nice as i like it ill upgrade cpu. Im going to upgrade the cpu eventually anyway.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Good deal. :)

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
can anyone tell me what is an adequate power supply to run the 8800 gt 512 mb? Also considering if i may upgrade my CPU to Intel Core Duo 2.66ghz?