Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Graphics card to run Crysis smoothly?

• Please log in to reply

Trash man

Trash man

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
as far as i know 550wtts will be enough but i could be wrong...

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
According to the box (of the 8800gt), you need a minimum of a 400W PSU with a 12V rating of at least 22A. For upgradability reasons, I would go with a minimum of a 500W PSU, though preferably around 600W.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
yeh i wana get the 8800, then im thinking of upgrading to duo core around 2.66ghz to 3ghz

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, well what I said still applies. 400W is the absolute minimum, but I'd recommend at least 500W, preferably 600W. Also make sure the 12V rating is at least 22A, though higher is better. For example, this is the PSU I have. It's 600W and has a 12V rating of 32A. I love it, and right now it has $10 instant savings plus a $70 rebate. At this price, you are practically stealing it (but legally :)).

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
alright thanks. This guy at a shop was telling me i need 2 600watt power supplies for the card i wanted. I dont need 2 just one right? He was talking crap i think

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Haha, yep, it's impossible to use 2 PSUs with one computer.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hmnm, 2 power supplies. I can't possibly think of why you would have 2 power supplies. Maybe he was asking if you were going to get 2 8800GT and run them in SLI. Because if you plan to go SLI with the 8800GT then you will need a bigger PSU then 600W.

it's impossible to use 2 PSUs with one computer.

I don't think it would be impossible but yeah that would be really dangerous.

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 November 2007 - 01:47 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Hmnm, 2 power supplies. I can't possibly think of why you would have 2 power supplies. Maybe he was asking if you were going to get 2 8800GT and run them in SLI. Because if you plan to go SLI with the 8800GT then you will need a bigger PSU then 600W.

it's impossible to use 2 PSUs with one computer.

I don't think it would be impossible but yeah that would be really dangerous.

To run 2 8800gt cards in SLI, you need a minimum of a 450W PSU and a 12V rating of 24A. So 600W would still be more than enough.

Also, explain to me how you would use 2 PSUs? It's not like components have two of each power connector!

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Also, explain to me how you would use 2 PSUs? It's not like components have two of each power connector!

Well you could create a device where you plug 2 small PSUs (like 200W) into it to get one (400W) connection out. It might be a neat concept, instead of throwing out your old PSU you could just add/upgrade the PSU so it has enough power, kinda like SLI. I have never seen this happen before but it is probably possible if someone really wanted to do it. Again this would probably be really dangerous and would have a high risk of frying the board.

Edited by jackflash1991, 23 November 2007 - 02:34 PM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
thanks for all your responses guys. Very helpful

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
all thought it is theoretically possible to run an 8800 with a power supply less than 600watts..... I strongly discourage it. Not only do you need to be able to deliver the amperage on the 12v rail, but you need to be able to do it for sustained periods.

A very good 600 watt power supply like cosairs 620hx would be a good example. I personally have a Thermaltake 750watt ps. Overkill for what i have at the moment, but it has enough power for sli (in watts), enough amerage, and the quality of power it delivers is excellent as well. You definitely pay more for the better supplies, but there isn't anything worse in a system than a cheap power supply.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I just thought I'd jump in on this thread. My friend is going to NZ for a 2-week holiday, and he has lent me his Samsung 226BW monitor :)

Of course, to the point - we installed the Crysis demo on my new gaming rig to check it out, and it ran so smooth at 1680x1050 resolution, we were both very impressed. :)

Here are my specs (hopefully this also is helpful to mrtypr):
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB (Gainward "Bliss")
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz (stock)
  • 2GB GeIL Ultra DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM
  • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard
And of course, the Power Supply - Antec True Power Trio 650W. This also is an excellent power supply that has 3x19A on the +12V rail, and a high efficiency rating (up to 85%). I am very happy with the quality of all of these components, if you were to choose something like this, then you should be able to run Crysis smoothly. Hope this helps :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Hey guys about the 2 power supply thing it can be done without any alterations.

You cant get 2 600w power supplies to work together but ill explain.

You buy a regular standard atx 500 watt Power supply for example and find out you dont have enough power to push your stuff. So there is 2 options, buy a single bigger power supply or you can buy a ULTRA Power Partner 325-Watt ATX Power Supply http://www.ultraprod...p;productID=633

or thermaltake has a combo one called a power station that has both a regular power supply and the 5.25 drive bay power supply.

http://www.thermalta...374/w007374.asp

These power supplies usually are in the 300watt to 350watt range and they fit inside of your 5.25inch drive bay and you can connect a video card up to it for example..

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

You buy a regular standard atx 500 watt Power supply for example and find out you dont have enough power to push your stuff. So there is 2 options, buy a single bigger power supply or you can buy a ULTRA Power Partner 325-Watt ATX Power Supply http://www.ultraprod...p;productID=633

or thermaltake has a combo one called a power station that has both a regular power supply and the 5.25 drive bay power supply.

These power supplies usually are in the 300watt to 350watt range and they fit inside of your 5.25inch drive bay and you can connect a video card up to it for example..

Did not think there was such a thing out there. Neat. But is it safe? I would think that there would be a higher risk of frying the board with it.

Edited by jackflash1991, 24 November 2007 - 11:42 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Did not think there was such a thing out there. Neat. But is it safe? I would think that there would be a higher risk of frying the board with it.

Its perfectly safe or they wouldn't sell it so you could sue them.

The ultra one isnt hooked up to anything in your system at all except for what you connect to it for example like a video card.

It uses its own power source from your wall ac socket..