Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Turns to black...

• Please log in to reply

playagain

playagain

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Please help me... when trying to explore in my computer then after how many minutes.. my computer's monitor will turn to black as shown in the illustration below:

Posted Image

please help me... i need to hard reset my PC for it to go back to normal.. but again after some time it will again go to black.. and the cursor will not move.. and i think the keyboard doesn't work too since i can't turn the num lock's lights off... but when i try to hard reset the PC.. it will go back to normal... how to avoid my problem ??? I'm tired of frequent resetting of my PC.. How could i detect the errors... ????

Edited by playagain, 21 November 2007 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Is this monitor an LCD or CRT monitor? LCD screens are commonly known as "flat-screens", while CRTs are usually big and bulky.
Make sure you are using the right power cord. Problems like these are often caused by improper power/overheating.
Also, try booting into Safe Mode. You can do this by pressing <F8> as the computer boots up to access the boot options menu. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem continues.
Let us know what happens so we can keep troubleshooting with you!

(PS 50th post! lol)

Edited by The Admiral, 21 November 2007 - 08:32 AM.

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Is this monitor an LCD or CRT monitor? LCD screens are commonly known as "flat-screens", while CRTs are usually big and bulky.
Make sure you are using the right power cord. Problems like these are often caused by improper power/overheating.
Also, try booting into Safe Mode. You can do this by pressing <F8> as the computer boots up to access the boot options menu. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem continues.
Let us know what happens so we can keep troubleshooting with you!

(PS 50th post! lol)

I am using CRT monitor...... how long should i use the computer in safe mode???
by the way, thanks for the time :) :) :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The point of going into safe mode was to see if the problem continues. Does it? If it doesn't, it may be a driver issue. Have you recently updated the driver? If you have, try rolling back the driver. If you haven't, try updating the driver. You can update the driver by going to the manufacturer's web page and finding the most recent driver.
(P.S. You want to do all this from Safe Mode, if you can.)

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The point of going into safe mode was to see if the problem continues. Does it? If it doesn't, it may be a driver issue. Have you recently updated the driver? If you have, try rolling back the driver. If you haven't, try updating the driver. You can update the driver by going to the manufacturer's web page and finding the most recent driver.
(P.S. You want to do all this from Safe Mode, if you can.)

I repair my PC using repair tool of the WinXP CD... and found no more problems... but after using for couple of hours... it went back to the problem... my monitor turned to black again... after i restarted my PC i went to eventvwr... and found this error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 11/25/2007
Time: 10:43:20 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BAUTISTA-68DD44
Description:
The Windows User Mode Driver Framework service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

I think this is the problem.. coz everytime my monitor turns to black and everytime i restarted my PC i see the same error :)

please help me I need your immediate response...

Thanks in advance !!! :) :) :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you do as I asked you to and update the driver? This should fix your problem.
I also need to know if this problem happens while you are in safe mode.
What Operating System are you using? Windows XP or Windows Vista?

Edited by The Admiral, 24 November 2007 - 09:50 PM.

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did you do as I asked you to and update the driver? This should fix your problem.
I also need to know if this problem happens while you are in safe mode.
What Operating System are you using? Windows XP or Windows Vista?

I'm trying it... but i don't know how to update it? and what driver to update? please help me again

Thanks for the replies :) :) :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
You need to update your video card drivers. You can usually find these drivers at either the computer manufacturers website (Dell, HP, etc) or the card manufacturer's website (nvidia, ATI, etc). If you tell me what kind of computer you have (be specific!) I can help you find the driver for it.

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is my computer:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you will help me with the drivers...

Thanks and God Bless you and your family always.... :) :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://support.asus....;model=P4V8X-MX

This link should take you to the correct drivers for your motherboard. The ASUS motherboard you have (P4V8X-MX) has onboard video.

Make sure you select the correct OS version (Windows XP).

EDIT: I just double-checked the link, you will need to click the [+] next to VGA, and then select the right OS.

Edited by troy, 26 November 2007 - 07:08 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Thanks Troy! And if I can ask, I haven't done much work with the dxdiag tool. How could you tell what mobo/gpu he has?

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks to both of you !!!...

I am now downloading the drivers...

Why only the VGA?

Thanks in advance :) :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You can update the others as well, if they are not the latest, but the VGA drivers are your video drivers, and we're trying to fix a video problem here :)

As for "How can I tell?":

In the bottom picture, it has VIA/S3G ... IGP - this stands for Integrated Graphics something-or-rather... So then we're looking for a motherboard make/model...

Up in the top picture, we see P4V8X-MX, a Google search reveals this is an ASUS motherboard, so I checked out the ASUS support page for the right link.

It's as easy as that :)

playagain

playagain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes i installed it already... il try to install the others if i have time... :) are all those drivers updated? the link that you had given me???

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Yes, every manufacturer keeps a current list of all drivers on their websites. This is because Asus computers don't have all Asus parts. Graphics, chipsets, processors... all have the potential to have different manufacturers and thus different drivers. So the computer manufacturer will keep all their updated drivers in one place for convenience.