Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple machines with the same error

• Please log in to reply

Ateo Fiel

Ateo Fiel

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I work at a local computer repair shop and over the past week we have had about five or six computers with the exact same problem. When the customer turns the machine on they the get error message, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: C:\windows\config\system".

Now we have been able to fix them easily enough (thanks to the Ultimate Boot CD and restoring a backup registry), but my question was whether or not this is being caused by some nefarious software update or virus, or is this just a nice coincidence of the same problem popping up at the same time in multiple places?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could be anything....possibly some common update or a virus of some kind...really hard to know without seeing each computer and asking questions to all the owners

Ateo Fiel

Ateo Fiel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was just kinda fishing to see if anyone else had a similar upswing of incidents with the same error.

The only thing the machines really had in common was XP Pro and automatic updates. They all had some form of antivirus as well.