Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HD History?

• Please log in to reply

ptasoccermom

ptasoccermom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
HD started "screaming," with message No Primary HD, and now, nothing.

Can you still get info from HD when this happens?

I have alot of info that was not backed up.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
depends on what failed on the drive

HD started "screaming," with message No Primary HD, and now, nothing.

define screaming? was the drive actually making odd noises or what?

if the drive is PHYSICALLY defunct to a point where it won't work...then everything on it is "lost" there are data recovery firms that can recover just about anything from just about any drive in just about any condition...HOWEVER this ain't cheap (read $500 and up)

if the drive just "failed" on a less physical level...then you might be able to hook it up as a slave drive (or in a USB enclosure) to another machine and get your info back off of it

ptasoccermom

ptasoccermom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yup!! It was screaming! My dog even looked at it funny.

I had problems with the BSOD, with messages Unmountable Boot Volume, something about Kernel, don't remember exactly.

I just got so PO'd at the dang thing, because every time that I went on it, I would get the BSOD. I tried to back-up things on a Flash drive and Discs, but I've got 3 kids, and who has the time to do that??

Thanks for your quick reply.