Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't connect to router/Internet w/new Windows Install

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
My hard drive died on my desktop and I've resinstalled Windows Home XP. I had kept the ethernet cord to the Linksys router (and DSL Modem) unplugged until I could get windows and then AVG installed.

Now I've plugged in and I can't get online. I look in network connections and it's only listing 1394 which I think is my firewire card, right? I'm so fried from dealing with dead hard drives that I've forgotten what I need to do with XP to connect, to network to my other computers in my home and how I need to set up AVG to allow this as well.

Any help much appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to download network drivers for your board on another Internet enabled computer before it'll talk to your router. You may also need other drivers such as sound, graphics, etc. These are obtainable from the people who make your board or computer. 1394 connection is Firewire.