Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

Goo392

Goo392

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi! I have a Dell Dimension B110 and it won't shut down. When I click shut down it just restarts. In order to shut down the computer I have to hold the power button. How can I fix this?

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi there,

I think firstly, you should change your recovery settings. Windows XP automatically reboots your computer, if a fatal BSOD error occurs while you're shutting down. By changing these settings, you will be able to view the error (If there is one) when it occurs.

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK.

5. Restart your computer.

Try shutting your computer down now, and see if it still restarts, or gives you a fatal error. After that, we can determine the problem, which is most likely software or drivers. :)

Slikkie

Edited by Slikkie, 24 November 2007 - 02:06 AM.

Goo392

Goo392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

I went under Startup and Recovery Settings and the Automatically Restart check box was already clear. What should I do now?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Goo392,

You don't just by some chance have Roxio Easy CD Creator installed on your machine do you? If you do, check this

If you DON'T check this link

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Yes, Adrenalin could be correct. There is a problem with the Roxio Easy CD creator which may cause this to happen. There is an update available for it if I remember correctly, which fixes the issue.

Slikkie

Goo392

Goo392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't have Roxio on my computer and I already tried clearing the Automatic Restart box. None of these options have solved my problem. My computer still won't shut down.

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
some areas to look at.

http://inquirer.phil...fdb7df9-45.html

Goo392

Goo392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok. I did what latigid said to do relating the system startup, and found that this is where the problem is. The file causing the problem is:

startup item: hpoddt01.exe
command: C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\DIGITA~1\bin\hpoddt01.exe

Since I cannot delete this file, a window pops up everytime you reboot the computer. How do I delete this file from the system startup???

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Looks like a Hewlett Packard file for your digital camera... I don't use the software that comes with my camera, i just use windows scan and copy... works fine. Even renames my files to!

Goo392

Goo392

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Should I uninstall the program?

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
You could yes

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Most likely, you have a virus or spyware/trojan on your computer.

I remember I had the same problem many years ago, I could not shut down mah computer, I had to press the power button and the emergency switch every time. When you said y'have a suspicious-lookin' EXE file which y'cannot delete, I was 90% assured y'have a nice little malware. Might be the "Korgo" or "Gaobot" worms.

Some of these may solve your problem. Y'can grab the free/trial versions for free:

- Kaspersky Anti-virus
- AVG Anti-virus
- Ad-Aware 2007
- Spybot Search & Destroy
- Spyware Terminator
- X-Con Spyware Destroyer

Grab some of these, and do a sweep across your hard drive. Note that while you can have many anti-spyware systems runnin' at the same time, you must have only ONE anti-virus system installed. Do not install another anti-virus software if y'already have one, or it'll smash your computer.