Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build

• Please log in to reply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is buying and building a new computer and I'm helping him with the list of hardwares to get.
The computer will primarily be used for games and watching videos and such. He's not going to do any overclocking as well.
I'm hoping someone can give me some input if all of this are compatible with each other.

2 x Western Digital 250GB SATA2
2 x Pioneer DVD writer
4 x 1GB Corsair Memory
1 x ASUS Maximus Formula (x38)
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
1 x Antec TruePower Trio 650W

We don't need a video card, monitor, case (not buying online) and OS.
So what does everyone think of this build? Budget does not matter at this moment and the timing's just right that they're all on sale right now at NCIX.
(I was telling him to wait a bit more for the prices to go down at boxing day or something but he's impatient :) )

EDIT:
Sites not responding or too busy, will edit later for the URL.

Thanks,
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 22 November 2007 - 03:33 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah, NCIX is going up and down (forums have been down for a bit now), the new sale was just launched, so the site is really busy. To bad you missed the 1TB drives for 200$, I almost picked one up myself, as you can tell I'm a frequent shopper there. Anyways back on topic.

I suggest looking at this deal, you get the first set of RAM for 26$.
http://www.ncix.com/...hp?webid=bf2007

What kind of graphics cards are you putting into this system, that PSU is a good PSU, but not one I'd suggest for a high end SLI system.

I also suggest this single hard drive over the two you suggested.
http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1030
It's a brand new revision from Seagate.

Any particular reason why he wants a X38 motherboard, they are rather pricey, but "futureproof" none the less. Also, if he/she doesn't plan on overclocking, then there are some pretty decent 100$ boards on the site.

James

Edit: It might also be worth waiting for the purchase of your GPU's (I suggest buying them here) as the back friday sale is going to get additional things at 12PM PST time on friday, I expect it to be a pretty good sale and for things to go fast!

Edited by james_8970, 21 November 2007 - 10:49 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I suggest looking at this deal, you get the first set of RAM for 26$.
http://www.ncix.com/...hp?webid=bf2007

I don't think they'll be enough of those left later today because there's only 96 left (its only 2:30am here). I suggested him the above RAM because he wants Corsair (heard they make pretty good RAM) and the timings are better (4-4-4-12).

What kind of graphics cards are you putting into this system, that PSU is a good PSU, but not one I'd suggest for a high end SLI system.

We're going with 8800GT but will wait until there are stocks at NCIX (preferably the XFX one) and maybe a lower price. He doesn't want to do any SLI/Crossfire and since we're going with the x38 (I don't think he can wait for the 780i) and 8800GT then he can't really do SLI (I asked him multiple times if he wants to do any SLI or Crossfire and he insists that he won't).

I also suggest this single hard drive over the two you suggested.
http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1030
It's a brand new revision from Seagate.

He wants to do a RAID with the drives that's why he wants two.

Any particular reason why he wants a X38 motherboard, they are rather pricey, but "futureproof" none the less. Also, if he/she doesn't plan on overclocking, then there are some pretty decent 100$ boards on the site.

Yes, we want it futureproof and maybe last about 3 or so years (his current system is 3 years old and games takes a long time to load).

It might also be worth waiting for the purchase of your GPU's (I suggest buying them here) as the back friday sale is going to get additional things at 12PM PST time on friday, I expect it to be a pretty good sale and for things to go fast!

Yeah, I told him to wait until the HD3800 are released so if ever those are better than the 8800GT then he could get those but this is not the case so we're just going to wait for the 8800GT.

The estimate budget is around $1800.
So all those items comes up to about $1100 add to that the video card for $300 and the case would maybe come to ~$150.
He'll probably get these by friday night (because of the additional items going on sale) and since they're not limited quantity, he's not really losing anything and would still get the items at sale prices.

Thanks james,

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 22 November 2007 - 03:40 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
OCZ is very good RAM as well, I actually have two sets of that exact RAM (that I suggest to you) and have had no complaints as of yet.

The HD38x0 cards have actually been released, for a week now I believe, they don't perform quite as good as the 8800GT but are going for a lower price.
I do like the HD38x0 more at this moment, for the reasons below:
-It's a dual slot cooler opposed to the single slot cooler (I prefer hot air outside of my case;))
-It has UVD decording, meaning, CPU usage will not exceed 30% when your playing a HD movie, and in most cases will remove lag completely from the movie, as the movie is more evenly distributed on your hardware. Also, your video card is more powerful in raw power, so it's better equipped to run HD movies then your CPU.
-It's on 55nm manufactuing process opposed to the 8800GT's 65nm.
-It overclocks extremely well when compared to the 8800GT with stock cooling.
-It consumes slightly less power and runs a bit cooler.
Both of these choices (8800GTvs.HD3870) are both very good choices and in all honestly, I'd pick one of whichever model you can find, they are a very hot product right now :)
Also bear in mind the new 8800GTS is coming out shortly (i.g. approximately less then 2 weeks).
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 November 2007 - 01:06 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
He said that he can wait for the 8800GT and since you mentioned the new 8800GTS that's coming out, I'll tell him to wait for that to see if those are better than the 8800GT. We're looking for something that performs better so that's why we're going with 8800GT.

I have another question, for the processor I listed above, does the E6850 comes with the heatsink & fan? I think it does because when we looked at one of the picture (that's in NCIX), we could see a fan at the back of the box. I just want to confirm. And also does it come with a thermal grease? I remember someone here at GTG saying that she/he did not get a thermal grease in their order. I'm also thinking of stealing some for my CPU because the grease is dried up. So if it doesn't could we get this then Arctic Cooling Thermal Compound Paste?

Thanks for all the help james.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 22 November 2007 - 02:23 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you are ordering a retail version of the CPU then everything will come in the box. If you order an OEM version, then you will need to also purchase a heatsink/fan and thermal paste.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

If you are ordering a retail version of the CPU then everything will come in the box. If you order an OEM version, then you will need to also purchase a heatsink/fan and thermal paste.

Thanks for answering my question troy :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Please note, the thermal paste is already applied to the CPU, there will not be any for another CPU.
If you want Artic Silver 5, you can get it priced matched for 7$ I think, I just ordered some with my water cooling setup, thats how I know.
www.shopbot.ca
If your buying a product, enter it into the website listed above, it will give you all the cheapest prices in canada, handy for the price match at NCIX (It saved me 40$ on my last order :)).
James

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
That's great james, thank you, we'll get that as well for my CPU :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I you need help on how to use price match just let me know.
Also, the price match will only go through if the other retailer has it in stock :), so make sure it's in stock at the other store to avoid the extra hassle.
James

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

He said that he can wait for the 8800GT and since you mentioned the new 8800GTS that's coming out, I'll tell him to wait for that to see if those are better than the 8800GT. We're looking for something that performs better so that's why we're going with 8800GT.

The new revision of the 8800GTS will have 512MB of ram, some speculation of 1gb versions also.

The GPU should be the newer G92 rather than the G80 but we will see for sure.. Will have more shader pipelines.. Higher clock speeds.. Smaller shrunken GPU which means it runs cooler.

- G92 core chip with 128 SP
- 32 TMU (64 Texture Address Units & 64 Texture Filtering Units)
- Core clock 650 MHz, the SP clock 1625 MHz
- 256 bit memory interface
- 512MB GDDR3 970 MHz (effective 1940 MHz)
- The new version of a black double-slot cooler
- 140W power consumption
- 6pin PEG additional power source
- 9 inch, 23cm of lenght - Price 299 to 349 dollars

If it uses the newer G92 which it should then It will be faster than the 8800GTX might be faster than 8800ultra or right at it, we will have to wait and see.

The new 8800GTS will be released around or before mid December.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

I you need help on how to use price match just let me know.
Also, the price match will only go through if the other retailer has it in stock :), so make sure it's in stock at the other store to avoid the extra hassle.
James

How about this james,
For Arctic Silver 5 Price match it for the price of $7.99 from Canada Computers, would this work? I've never done a price match before.

I also have this question, if that new 8800GTS 512mb has the G80, would it be on par with 8800GT in terms of performance? And if it does have the G92 and performs better than the 8800GTX and/or 8800Ultra then why would the price range be $299-349? Wouldn't it benefit them to price it around what the GTX and Ultra prices are? I'm just curious as to why these prices are lower but they perform better than the higher priced graphic cards (i.e. comparing the 8800GT with the 8800GTS 640mb).

Thanks again.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 23 November 2007 - 04:11 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes it will, thats the one I priced matched. Thought it was 7$ not 8$ though..
As for price matching, you click the price match button at the bottom of your screen when you are in your cart.

No, the 8800GTS will have greater performance then the 8800GT like jrm20 already mentioned.
To be honest with you, I think nVidia and ATI/AMD are beginning a price war because the same thing happened on the ATI side.
The HD3870 was released, it's better then the HD2900XT in pretty well ever way, but it's half the price :)

Also jrm20, the die shrink is pretty well confirmed, and I don't believe it'd be possible to use the G80 on the smaller die. They go hand in hand, then again I have been wrong in the past.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 November 2007 - 03:18 PM.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Thanks for all the info.

We'll get the 8800GTS 512mb then (if the price is good) right when it comes out so we wouldn't have to wait for re-stocks just like the 8800GT (and I noticed the prices are lower the day it was released).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Warning, since it's the Christmas season people are buying things fast. If you want it, your going to have to act quickly and check the site hourly.
James