Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Why install water cooling James? Just put your computer outside! :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Why install water cooling James? Just put your computer outside! :)

Sadly, I have actually though about it, but in the summer when temperatures reach 45*C, then that would be no good.
I want my E6600 to reach 4.0GHz (don't need a long life from the chip as I plan on buying Penryn). Good thing I bought the RAM cooler, as my RAM is about to get a little toasty :)
James

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
They're delivering everything but the hard drives hopefully today.(though the items were already in the truck yesterday, ready to be delivered but they didn't come :) ) The hard drives are in back orders and no word yet to when the stocks will be in.

Question:
For the motherboard that we have, does that support an IDE hard drive? or does it have to be SATA? I'm going to lend him my graphics card for a while and then install an OS using his old IDE hard drive just to see if everything works with OS installed.

Dec. 11 is so far away :)

Thanks for the help.
Kamille

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

We ordered everything last saturday and still waiting on it but we ordered a computer case as well
Antec P182 ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Audio Firewire
and I'm wondering if the PSU cable will be long enough since for that case the PSU is placed at the bottom.
This is the PSU we ordered Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0 Active PFC SLI Certified 120MM Fan

I'm thinking that the PSU cable will be long enough to be compatible with this case since they're made by the same manufacturer. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Kamille

I have this exact PSU, the cables are plenty long enough :)

They're delivering everything but the hard drives hopefully today.(though the items were already in the truck yesterday, ready to be delivered but they didn't come :) ) The hard drives are in back orders and no word yet to when the stocks will be in.

Question:
For the motherboard that we have, does that support an IDE hard drive? or does it have to be SATA? I'm going to lend him my graphics card for a while and then install an OS using his old IDE hard drive just to see if everything works with OS installed.

Dec. 11 is so far away :)

Thanks for the help.
Kamille

You can have up to two IDE devices, according to this link. It would be better to have SATA drives though, as they allow for faster data transfer speeds (= faster computer). But you could have one DVD Burner and hard drive, or two burners, or two hard drives, all from the one IDE cable. For such a high-end system, though, don't bother with IDE at all, go SATA for your hard drives and optical drives.

kamille316

kamille316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

You can have up to two IDE devices, according to this link. It would be better to have SATA drives though, as they allow for faster data transfer speeds (= faster computer). But you could have one DVD Burner and hard drive, or two burners, or two hard drives, all from the one IDE cable. For such a high-end system, though, don't bother with IDE at all, go SATA for your hard drives and optical drives.

I just want to make sure that everything works fine with an OS installed so we can RMA and have a new one before we even get his own graphics card. The hard drives are in back orders (we ordered everything at the same time though we didn't know there was no stock at the time for the HD).

I can't believe I missed that IDE thing :) , thanks troy.

Kamille