Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pentium D820 compatible with 680i?

• Please log in to reply

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
What the title says. My main question is: is my Pentium D820 800MHz compatible with the 680SLI's faster FSB(1066/1333)?
Motherboards:
http://www.ncix.com/...anufacture=eVGA
http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1030

Some of my friends are saying that my computer won't even post if the FSB of the motherboard is faster than the CPU speed. Since the CPU speed is only 800MHz and the FSB of the motherboard is 1066/1333, this would be true. Are they right or can anything higher than your CPU's speed run it?

Edited by gambLe1109, 22 November 2007 - 02:03 AM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
According to this link, the motherboard is capable of supporting Pentium processors, so it will work fine :)

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Are you sure? I just want to be certain, because I've had several different people tell me that because the FSB of this motherboard is 1333/1066 and the speed of my processor is 800, the computer won't even post. Can somebody clarify if this is true or not?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes I'm sure, it's just saying that the motherboard is compatible with 1333/1066. The reason it only advertises these two speeds is because they are the latest FSB speeds. The motherboard is also compatible with the Pentium processors (and as such, your Pentium D will work fine). It just doesn't advertise this straight up because the Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors are old. You have to dig around in the manual to find the information. The link I provided in post #2 shows the information you need to know.

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thank you troy for clarifying :)
Much appreciated !

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes the BIOS will automatically adapt to the FSB, also you can raise the FSB and decrease the multiplier to get the same speed which I don't recommend unless you know what you are doing.

Soorena