Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Instant Messaging

• Please log in to reply

Budboomer

Budboomer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this site and I have a simple question.

Can using AOL instant messaging install bad software without your knowledge?

My sister's machine was loaded with scumware despite the fact that she runs Spybot and Adaware. I found it when I went into add/remove programs. The only reason we came up with is that her sons aged, 14 and 12 use AOL IM all the time.

Does this sound possible? I am thinking that her machine is picking this stuff up from her kids friends machines that they IM to. :tazz:

Advertisements

markedmanner

markedmanner

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
If you install AIM you get a wonderful spyware called Wild Tangent you can go HERE to read an explanation on exactly what Wild Tangent does. Personally I would recommend getting a program called GAIM you can use it in place of MSN messanger,AIM,ICQ,YAHOO etc.. you can go HERE to get it. Hope that helps you out some.

Budboomer

Budboomer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your fast response.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
BTW- It also comes on newer HP computers. ;) Be sure to remove it ASAP! :tazz:

My thinking of HP- ;) :)

If you install AIM you get a wonderful spyware called Wild Tangent you can go HERE to read an explanation on exactly what Wild Tangent does. Personally I would recommend getting a program called GAIM you can use it in place of MSN messanger,AIM,ICQ,YAHOO etc.. you can go HERE to get it. Hope that helps you out some.

View Post

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Trillian is also a good messenger program to use. It lets u log in into aim,icq,yahoo and msn messenger at the same time.

Cheers! :tazz:

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ahhh wildtangent. I'll never forget the time I saw that my friend's new HP came with spyware...

On another note, this is why I don't use AIM :tazz: MSN Messenger 7 (fully patched with the latest MessPatch) is the greatest messenger program out IMO ;)