Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What psu for my pc?

• Please log in to reply

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Greetings,

i want to change my psu and i'd like to know which one i should buy. I need at least 600w to power up my new card so i need to know what specs i need to look for. Also is there a brand and could i go up to 700w. My pc is build apart with a dual core 2 e6600 processor and a Asus p5b mtb the card i want to buy is a 8800gts.

Thanks. :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello,
Give me your budget.
Do you plan on running SLI in the future?
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I like the brand Antec $115: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001
As said by James, are you going SLI? If so you may need a little more.

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Greetings,

i plan to spend around 140.00$ us on a new power supply i know there are some ocz 600w around 113,00+taxes, i'm not planning to run sli on my pc i just wanted to know what to look for when i buy a new power supply, in other words what does the numbers mean on the side and what is good enough and what is not.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Greetings,

i plan to spend around 140.00$ us on a new power supply i know there are some ocz 600w around 113,00+taxes, i'm not planning to run sli on my pc i just wanted to know what to look for when i buy a new power supply, in other words what does the numbers mean on the side and what is good enough and what is not.

The OCZ 700W gameXstream is the one I recommend all the time. Its still on sale at www.clubit.com

http://www.clubit.co...itemno=A6276522

If you think that will be enough for future use then you cannot beat this deal.

If you are only wanting to run 1 8800 series video card this is more than enough but if you want to run lets say 2 8800 ultras in sli look into a pc power & cooling 750W or seasonic 750W.

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

well my motherboard doesn't allow me to make a sli configuration so i bought a 8600gts waiting for the 8800gtx to go down. Would 600w with my configuration be ok? :)

Edited by Rechkalov7, 25 November 2007 - 10:29 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi,

well my motherboard doesn't allow me to make a sli configuration so i bought a 8600gts waiting for the 8800gtx to go down. Would 700w with my configuration be ok? :)

yes the 700w is more than enough you will be good to go with the OCZ.

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

sorry i meant 600w.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Depends on the PSU were talking about.
Can you give us a link to the PSU you were thinking about?
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
stick with the 700w OCZ on newegg its actually cheaper than the 600w OCZ.

clubit has it for $2 less but thats not much of a difference since newegg finally has it on sale.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

stick with the 700w OCZ on newegg its actually cheaper than the 600w OCZ.

clubit has it for $2 less but thats not much of a difference since newegg finally has it on sale.

I agree the OCZ 700 watt is the best performance/price PSU out there at the moment.

Soorena

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

sorry but i live in Canada, and clubit is for us only, i tried to register to buy it but it just won't work for people living outside us.

Rechkalov7

Rechkalov7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi,

sorry to ask but the ocz 700w you're talking about is the one that says sli ready but is it ok for a normal configuration with one card?

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Oh yes it will be more than "ok" for a single card setup, it'll be more of an "excellent". Lol. Also you might wanna buy from NCIX as James told me before, HERE
is a link to that PSU. Another thing for all Canadians out there, go to www.pricecanada.com to compare prices for stores in canada.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 27 November 2007 - 07:28 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Oh yes it will be more than "ok" for a single card setup, it'll be more of an "excellent". Lol. Also you might wanna buy from NCIX as James told me before, HERE
is a link to that PSU. Another thing for all Canadians out there, go to www.pricecanada.com to compare prices for stores in canada.

Soorena

Another is www.shopbot.ca, I have had better luck with it. If you don't know what we are talking about, these are search engines that locate products from various e-tailers, you can then take the lowest price and get NCIX to match that price.
To your luck, the OCZ 700W PSU currently has a rebate in canada as well, going for 100$ after rebate.
http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1030
James