Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

going wireless (or not)

• Please log in to reply

stevm

stevm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a lenovo laptop with an internal Intel®pro/wireless 3945ABG network connection running on XP. when searching for available networks, it finds connection but will not allow the connection to go through. All the settings appear to be correct. Have contacted AOL (the router provider) they say they dont have the training to advise me on how to maintain connection, only that I would have to do my connections manually every time I want to go on the web. Can anyone help.

Advertisements

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
It could be down to your router, have you adjusted the settings to allow your laptop to connect? You might need to tell the router what the MAC address of the laptop is, otherwise the router wont allow anyone to connect

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi,

Are you using Access Connections? If you are, stop. :) I would disable Access Connections (it's easiest to just uninstall it) and use Windows XP to manage your network connections. You could also try using Intel's network manager, but I've had better luck with Windows' one.

Good luck!