Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply

ashoka

ashoka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

First, the relative system specs:
Asus P5KR Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo 2,66
Seagate 160GB SATA Drive
Windows XP Pro (SP2)
Maxtor PCI IDE controller (2 extra IDE channels via PCI)
160 IDE drive via USB external box

I installed WinXP Pro on the new SATA drive without problems (plugged into the red SATA1 port on-board), then installed the4 necessary drivers for the IDE card, and everything worked fine. I then went to install a second SATA drive (500GB) and plugged it into the other red SATA port (mistake?). After that, I cannot get the OS to boot, I get the error:

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I then removed the second SATA drive (500GB), hence reverting everything to what it was originally, and I still get the same message and cannot boot Windows.

I've tried everything including:
-Unplugging the IDE expantion card
-Changing boot device order
-choosing 'F8' from POST screen to choose boot device (chose first SATA where the OS is located)
-Setting BIOS to read SATA as RAID (from original setting of IDE)
-Plugging new HD into the other SATA plugs (3 and 4, which are black, non-bootable)

Nothing has worked, and I cannot load Windows.

What got screwed up when I plugged in that second drive? I've rebooted dozens of times before with just the one drive and everything is OK.

Any Ideas?

-Mike

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Remove the IDE card and the 500 SATA drive.

1: Try to clear the BIOS. Unplug the power cable and move the jumper near the CMOS battery for 1-2 minutes. Return the jumper to its previous position, connect the power cable and bootup. If done correctly you should get a notice about checksome error or another error message. Type in time and date in the BIOS, save the changes and reboot.

2: Use your installation CD to get to recovery console. While there, type chkdsk /r and let the process run to the end.