Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Website venture

• Please log in to reply

poppinfresh

poppinfresh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks,

I have a business idea where I will display/list items from a select type of sites from which people can use my site to find and search for the cheapest (I will provide links/traffic to the other sites). This is not on a massive scale thinking of about 20sites to gather info from. So I would need a database of the products I assume, from which the website will run from and display the products.
This is as far as I have got with the idea to be honest, my main concern is how do I get the information from the other sites and how easy is this to do initially and then to maintain. I have done a little reseach on site scraping but not sure if this is what I am really wanting.

Any suggestions or experience would be great.

Thanks

Advertisements

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Are you thinking about naming your site pricewatch.com?
But really, check pricewatch.com out, and I am sure you'll get ideas.

Edited by I.D.S. Administrator, 23 November 2007 - 12:08 AM.

poppinfresh

poppinfresh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I took a look at that site and yeah that site has the same mechanics that i want to achieve i guess, although dont think that sight looked very good in terms of appearance and the products are a million miles away from what I would be displaying.

The main query is how best to retieve the data in the first instance and then consequently maintain it.

Thanks again