Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some updates were not installed

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
My Windows XP OS is set up to automatically download updates from Microsoft whenever they are available. When the updates are available, I get the yellow shield that appears at the bottom right of my task bar. Clicking on the shield initiates the download and installations of the updates. The downloading seems to work fine, however when the updates try to install I get a window that pops up telling me the following: "Some updates were not installed". Then it will list the updates that did not install.
This doesn't just happen for some updates, it will not successfully install ALL updates for some reason. Therefore, I always have the yellow shield on my task bar telling me I have updates to install, but I can never install them succesfully.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi there,

Try reinstalling the Windows Update Agent. You can download the update agent from this link:
http://download.wind...Agent30-x86.exe

(This is for 32bit Windows.)

Create a folder on your C drive called WUAGENT.

Move the EXE file that you downloaded to this folder.

Open the command prompt by going to Start > Run > Type "cmd"

Now type C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce (Where "C" is the letter of your hard drive.

The Windows Update Agent will now be reinstalled. Hopefully this fixes your problem. Let me know.

Slikkie :)

Edited by Slikkie, 23 November 2007 - 10:57 AM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
The PC I'm trying to fix is my father-in-law's. I'll be at his place this coming weekend and will try your suggestion.
Thank you for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hi there,

Try reinstalling the Windows Update Agent. You can download the update agent from this link:
http://download.wind...Agent30-x86.exe

(This is for 32bit Windows.)

Create a folder on your C drive called WUAGENT.

Move the EXE file that you downloaded to this folder.

Open the command prompt by going to Start > Run > Type "cmd"

Now type C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce (Where "C" is the letter of your hard drive.

The Windows Update Agent will now be reinstalled. Hopefully this fixes your problem. Let me know.

Slikkie :)

Slikkie,

Sorry it took so long to give your suggestion a try. I just got around to it this weekend. I have d/l the Windows Update Agent and moved it into a folder on my Desktop titled WUAGENT. I can access the command prompt through start>run and have typed C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce as you suggested. The response I'm getting is as follows: The system cannot find the path specified
I'm sure I'm typing something wrong. First question, Do I need the 'C' prompt on the command line to show the following? C:
What I show when I access the command prompt is this: C:\Documents and Settings\DAD>command
What I've been doing is typing your C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce after ...DAD>command. I'm thinking I need to somehow get the C:\Documents and Settings\DAD>command down to just C:\ but I don't know how to do that. Could that be the problem?
The only other thing I can pinpoint is that at the end of your command line, i.e., C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce should the forward slash in front of wuforce actually be a backward slash?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.