Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to hide a running program from task manager.

• Please log in to reply

pagandaddy

pagandaddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi-
I'm trying to catch someone misbehaving on the computer while I'm not home. I'm running XP Home. I have PC Detective running but the problem is that they just go into the Task Manager and end task the program when they want to get away with something. If I can hide it from the Task Manager they will think it's not running and then I've got them. Is there any half-way simple way to do this???????
Thanks for the help
Pagandaddy

Advertisements

Mark K

Mark K

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not sure how to hide a single task, but you can disable the task manager, so they cannot open it at all, heres how

Open My Computer > C: > Windows > System 32 > RegEdit

Expand the hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Right click the right hand window, somewhere in the white area (you will probably have Disable Registry Tools already in there).
Create a new DWORD key using the following

Name: DisableTaskMgr
Then double click your new key and change the value to 1
Exit your registry and try opening task manager, it should be disabled, preventing users cancelling running services.

To enable the task manager again simply change the value of the new key to 0

Note: Take great care in editing the registry as its the heart of your computer, always double check your in the right place before changing things

Edited by Mark K, 23 November 2007 - 06:08 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Best to backup your Registry before editing. Wouldn't hurt to make a System Restore point.

Ron

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi-
I'm trying to catch someone misbehaving on the computer while I'm not home. I'm running XP Home. I have PC Detective running but the problem is that they just go into the Task Manager and end task the program when they want to get away with something. If I can hide it from the Task Manager they will think it's not running and then I've got them. Is there any half-way simple way to do this???????
Thanks for the help
Pagandaddy

Think the first question to ask is why do you want to do this, who do you suggest is misbehaving (how can you "misbehave" on a computer anyway? :)) and what are they alleged to have done?
Most requests to hide things in Task Manager are usually (though I'm not suggesting that you are doing this) for malicious purposes.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Personally, if it was my computer, I would lock out everyone from the computer while I'm at work. Even if that meant password protecting a lot of stuff. Windows XP Pro gives you a lot more control, but I would definitely would lock up the PC in what ever way possible. Some PCs have a keylock or one could be installed to remove power completely. Unless you have a large family that has access to your PC, you should have an idea who it is. If you have more then one User account, remove all the ones you personally don't use.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 November 2007 - 05:05 PM.