Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc won't boot in any mode

• Please log in to reply

juliana22

juliana22

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

For some reason my pc won't boot in any mode, all i get is a blue screen that says windows has been shut down to protect your files. I tried to reinstall windows xp using the disc but it needs to be booted in order to go any further. What should I do?
I read here that maybe I'll have to reset the BIOS, is that right?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Juliana,

Welcome to Geeks to Go! Let's see if we can get your computer working.
On the blue screen, there should be a number called a Stop Code. It looks like this: 0x0000003F(0x3D412A33, 0x0000006A, 0x0000004F), possibly with an all-caps stop error after that, like UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Note down both and let us know what those codes are.

juliana22

juliana22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hello,

Thank you so much for helping me, sorry it took me a little while to reply, but i'm using a friend's pc this time, about the code, this is what it says:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***STOP 0X000000ED (0X86777E30, 0XC000009C, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Thank you

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Sounds like there's a problem with the file system, funnily enough I fixed two PCs with this last week.

Boot using the XP CD > choose recovery then recovery console > once in the recovery console type chkdsk c: /r and press enter. It will then check the drive and try to fix any errors, once it's done type exit and press enter to restart your PC.

If your PC won't boot off the CD you'll have to change the boot device options in the BIOS. This can be done in boot options depending on what BIOS it is.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Juliana,

You will first need to change the boot order in your BIOS. To do so, press F2 as your computer boots up. This will take you into the setup. Poke around for a boot order and make sure the CD drive is at the top, and the HDD is at the bottom. Sorry to be kinda vauge, but terminology varies between BIOSes.
Next, insert the XP CD into the CD Drive and reboot the computer. This should make your computer boot from the CD-ROM. When a blue setup screen appears, press R to repair the installation. This will open a command prompt. From the command prompt, we will run a disk diagnostic and attempt to fix the boot record.
In the command prompt, type in chkdsk /r and press Enter. This will check your hard disk for errors. Once that has finished, type in fixboot c: and press Enter. This will attempt to fix your Master Boot Record.
Let us know if this works. If it doesn't, don't worry, there are more steps we can take!
Also, what kind of computer do you have?

Good luck!

edit: Thanks Zeus! lol I get this one all the time.... So I know how you feel!

Edited by The Admiral, 27 November 2007 - 07:49 AM.

juliana22

juliana22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey the admiral,

Thank you so much for being here and helping get through this, sorry it took me a while to reply, but i had to find another computer to do it from, so I tried everything you told me to, it seemed like it was going to work, but now I get this message:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<windows root>\ system 32 \ ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file

What do you think I should do now, may I ask you something?
Do you think I'm gonna lose all my information, pictures, stuff like that?
I have a lot of important stuff in it, perhaps should've gotten a back up device...
I'll be here waiting and replying all day if you can.
Thank you so very much for helping me!!!