Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP printer default

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

We had HP All-in-one 1410 as our original printer. My son decided to install his 3840 printer. I claim to have looked all around (with my limited knowledge) but I'm unable to find how to reset Default Printer. We 98% us the 1410 but every thing chooses 3840 as the printer. I've gone to icons at bottom right to change default but it will always go back to 3840. I appreciate any advice.

bama

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello bama,

When he installed the printer, it changed the default printer to his printer. You can choose the default printer by going to Start | Control Panel, double-clicking Printers and Faxes, right-clicking the desired default printer, and choosing Set as Default Printer.

Regards,

Ax

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I am quite sure that I have done this procedure before. For some reason, at the next restart - or two, somewhere after I have forgotten about this problem - the 3840 will again be the default printer. Is there any way to stop this?

Bamakodaker

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Yes, there may be a way to stop it. It seems as if the 3840 software is changing the default printer. If there is a control program for the 3840, try checking that to see if there are any specific settings that change it to the default printer. Otherwise, try uninstalling all the 3840 printer software and then reinstalling it, making sure the system does not set it up as the default printer.

Regards,

Ax

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

In Add or Remove - I see HP Deskjet 3840 AND HP Deskjet 3840 Series. Do I have to remove both of them?

I tried - -
Windows XP
Click Start , then Control Panel .
Click Printers and Other Hardware .
Click Printers and Faxes .
Highlight (click once) the appropriate HP Deskjet printer.
Click File . Verify that there is a check mark next to Set as Default . If there is no check mark, click Set as Default and try printing again.
If Set as Default is already checked, click Properties . Then select the Advanced tab.
Verify that the correct printer appears in the General box.

I'm going to Restart and check something.

OK, did the above, made 1410 default, then Restarted. Everything is reset with 3840 as default! Everything! Inside Control Panel and every printing program (3?) that I have! Does that just leave me with removing 3840 software? 3840 and 3840 Series?

bama

Edited by bamakodaker, 28 November 2007 - 07:33 PM.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello bama,

To answer your question, yes you would want to remove both. Sometimes two related entries get uninstalled with one shot, so you'll just have to see how it goes.

Ax

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I removed both of the 3840 programs and the 1410 is back as default. Whenever we can get around to having my son find the software CD we'll try loading it again and this time watch carefully to not set it as default. Thanks for the time and help.

Do you know anything about TCP/IP stack problems? I'm going back to that problem thread I have going.

bamakodaker

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
That's good to hear bama. You're very welcome. As for your other issue, I've replied.