Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will not Restart

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

Win 98 will not Restart, sometimes will not Shut Down when just given those commands. I hate having to have a Hard Restart - holding On/Off button till it shuts down, then it has to go through the rechecking process before it will actually Start again.

I've had this problem for a while, it is worse now though. Now it will never Restart. What do I need to do??

I just ran a WinSox fix. Will it TCP/IP stack be corrected if I have to do a Hard Restart or must the computer go through the proper process in a Restart?

I look forward to responses for my two questions.

Much thanks in advance!
Bamakodaker

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Try using System file checker to see if your command com file has been corrupted. Start in Safe Mode (F8 key while starting the computer) and then run System File Checker (click on START, then RUN, then type: SFC). This will give you the opportunity to scan your system files and replace any bad ones.

Check this website for some fixes for your problem.

http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnse.php

Heres a site on using extract exe to get files from the cab files on a win 98 CD.

http://www.helpdesk....windows_9x/548/

This has been known to be caused by modem drivers that are not terminating. Also check to see if a Firewall is being used and the firewall is not shutting down. I used Kill Win for a long time on one old Win98 computer i had.

http://bk-soft.com/killwin.htm

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 27 November 2007 - 09:10 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I just ran tthe System File Checker. Under details - 149 folders and 1944 files examined. All the rest is 0 - including no files restored. Am I correct that means this check shows no problems with the Registry?

By the way, I used SFC just as it was. Checking to see what is selected -
Settings tab - Back up file before restoring - Prompt for backup. The Default backup location is C\WINDOWS\Helpdesk\SVC. Under Log file - Append to existing log.
Search Criteria - there's a list of items, some with Subfolders Yes and other No. The only Folder highlighted is C\Program Files. In the "Select te file types you want to check", while there are several items there it appears nothing is highlighted.
Advanced - showing in File name window is C:\WINDOWS\Default.sfc. I did not select the "Restore Defauts" button.

The first link you gave (fixes) goes to a Win 98 SE, would ithese fixes be the same for just W98? Yes, my PC is maxed out, can not be upgraded to SE.

Also - I have BellSouth DSL modem connected to Linksys Router. My XP and 98 are hard-wired. I was using Sygate Firewall. Kept having some problem and was told I needed older version. Deleted Sygate, got the older version. Somewhere about that time may be when my problems got worse. I thought I'd delete Sygate all the way and reinstall another firewall. What would you suggest?

Now I see things about BIOS, CMOS battery and many more confusing things. Seems like there should be a section in Geeks for ALL the things one needs to check on to maintain Win 98 computers!!

Much thanks,
bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 28 November 2007 - 06:05 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bamakodaker...

Bare with me...I may be a bit rusty with Win98 settings...

Open Control Panel and double click on the "Sounds" icon. In the "Event" field, click on "Exit Windows". In the "Name" field, select "None" and click "Ok". Make sure all settings are applied and reboot.

Does the shutdown still hang?

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
This was already the case.
Exit Windows had (None) showing.

Hmmm, just realized from Safe Mode that it restarted into regular mode without a problem. Does that reveal anything?

bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It sounds like a driver or service not releasing.

Have a run through this...probably the best 98 troubshooter I've found. Took me a while to "re find" it and I was surprised to find the site still up.

Bud's Troublshooter

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Wow! Lots of info! I'll work my way through and report back later.

Great - I finally get around to an earlier thought - the part about these problems seeming to start with the Sygate change. I deleted Sygate and my Win 98 reboots fine now!

So simple! Dufus me didn't see through all the fog I created!!

Guess I'll return to my "TCP/IP stack problems?" thread.

Much thanks for the time and help,
bamakodaker

Edited by bamakodaker, 28 November 2007 - 10:57 PM.