Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dx9 issues. Do I need to uninstall first?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
The problem first occurred to me after I had been going into and fixing somethings with my computer. Before that however, I purchased a game called call of duty 4 which is a good looking 3D game, which I know I can run with my 7600gt, 1 gig of ram, and 3.4 Ghz processor because I did it before on med/high settings and I had no problems. After I cleared out some files and information on my computer, I decided run Call of Duty again but this time I would get messages such as DirectX has had encountered an unrecoverable error or similar messages. I already tried re-installing the game and now I am wondering what I need to do with Direct X, if that is indeed the problem. I already tried installing the November 2007 redistribute and also tried to install the DirectX-end-user-runtime Still, whenever I load the map to a game, especially when I have really nice graphical things running such as Glow, Spectacle, or other good looking things I get the message about DirectX having an error. I was just wondering if I could get some help with this issue. By the way I feel stupid and sorry because I posted this problem under the Games section only to realize that this problem may not be with the game so I tried to go back to the games section to remove it but I couldn't figure it out. :)

Edited by georgewashington16, 23 November 2007 - 12:53 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no uninstall for DirectX, its a critical part of Windows.
You can download a revised version from http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en and this should patch any DirectX issues you may have.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Thanks but I tried to install the one you told me to but it just said I already had a version of that or a newer one. However, I checked my Nvidia 7600gt temperature just being curious to make sure it wasn't over heating. I looked and it was 108 degrees Celcius and I was just wondering if that is around what my card should be at. If not I can try to open the case and blow a fan on it until I get a new case. Thanks.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Well bearing in mind the boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius, then that card running at 108 degrees Celsius should have died a long time ago :) Sure you don't mean 108 degrees Fahrenheit? 108 degrees Fahrenheit is 42 degrees Celsius which is fine.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
No I mean 108 degrees celcius and that is what Nvidia temperature monitor said it was running at and it kept going up to 119 degrees and I got worried so I shut it down. I think there is a problem with the fan because whenever i hear it going(it is loud) it stays around 55 degrees celcius. Then when my computer boots up quietly I check the temperature and it was above 90 degrees celcius in about 10 minutes of use and it kept climbing. I now realize when the fan turns on(sometimes i need to spin it with my finger about 10 or 15 quick little rotations to give it a little jump start) it remains cool. However I think the part that plays games is ruined because the dx9 errors still pop up with games.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Replace the card or blow it out free of dust. The fan should be spinning at all times otherwise you're only cooking your card.