Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EBay question

• Please log in to reply

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If the minimum bid on an item is $0.99, and you say your maximum bid is $10.00, will it start your bid at $0.99? If so, if someone bids $5.00, would your bid be raised to $5.01 or $10.00 or what?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you set your max bid at $10.00 and first to bid on item that is still at $0.99, then your bid will be considered a min bid. Normally, you should be notified of all bids just in case you want to change your minimum bid amount. EBay may only trigger a notice when someone reaches your max bid level to allow you to increase or let stand your current max bid amount. Since you have set a max bid amount, you should not have to bid any more until your max bid level is reached.

Rules and Fees that Apply to eBay Users
Bidding Overview

I haven't kept up with eBay bidding, so please check the links for correct information.

Ron

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Usually after bidding gets to a certain amount there are set increments the bids will be increased by.
Anywhere from .25 cents to dollar amounts.

Edited by keithr128, 23 November 2007 - 03:10 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It really doesn't matter if there are increments once you have set a max bid. Some sites set a bid increment from the start, but if you have the option to set a max bid, you need not do anything until you receive notice that your max bid has been equaled or surpassed. Then you have an option to make changes or drop out.

Ron

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Thanks guys, I got it now. Now if only I could win an auction... Twice I've had someone outbid me by the minimum amount in the final 5 seconds of an auction... I guess I just need to refresh faster. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've heard of programs that can nick it, they call the eBay Sniper programs... Don't know much about them, but maybe they're beating ya!

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Thanks guys, I got it now. Now if only I could win an auction... Twice I've had someone outbid me by the minimum amount in the final 5 seconds of an auction... I guess I just need to refresh faster. :)

That really annoys me. I have bid on things, winning for about a week, then someone comes and makes a bid in the last few seonds.
Thats why I always make my maximum bid just under retail price (or what its worth, or I am willing to pay), so I get it for that amount or less. If somebody goes over that amount, at least I get a laugh out of them.
Although I have to admit, I have won auctions that way. Its funny when you start a bidding war with somebody and you get a "second chance offer" because they dont pay.
I see some people just bid .99 cents on heaps of items. I also hate when people think they can try to charge $20 postage for an item that fits in a .50c stamped envelope. "Handling fee's?" Well, your time is not worth .2 cents to me.
I do like the option where you can enter 5 or so items and ebay will bid your maximum amount on those items untill you win one. That way they can refresh all they want but you'll just get another one whilst your tapping away on IRC.

Kais3r

Kais3r

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Download or buy a bid sniper program, it sniped it at the last couple seconds.