Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MDT folder... what is it?

• Please log in to reply

Mark Williams

Mark Williams

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, and hope all had a pleasant Thanksgiving!

I noticed a file folder in my root directory called "MDT" today. It has three items in it:
MSetting,ini 1 kb. 11/16 9:02 pm
path.ini 1 kb. 11/23 8:41 am
Setting.ini 7 kb. 11/16 9:02 pm

Is this anything to worry about? As far as I know, I did not download or install any new software. Everything seems to be running OK, and scans with AVG, Asquared, and Spybot come up clean, and I have SpywareBlaster running (all are updated regularly and have the most current files running).

Web searches for MDT pull up a variety of sites, mostly about the stock of a legitimate company, Medtronic, Inc.

Unsure, but filled with turkey in California......

Edited by Mark Williams, 23 November 2007 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I would suggest you delete it, since it just appeared randomly one day. :)

If you didn't install any new programs requiring it, then nothing is using it.

Edited by Slikkie, 24 November 2007 - 01:56 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I wouldn't just delete a file/ folder without knowing what it is. It could be malware/ spyware/ or even just an update to some program.

Right click on the .ini and open it. It will open in notepad. This might give you a clue as to what it is/ belongs to.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I doubt that with all those programs finding nothing, that this could still be malware. :)

Mark Williams

Mark Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would agree with Runner. I opened the ini's and found a lot of stuff dealing with settings for dvd players, but also about grabbing contacts from Outlook (which will be fruitless, since I don't use Outlook). I have looked at my Hijack this file and cannot find any reference to these ini files, but then again, maybe I don't know exactly what to look for. Also, the date on the path file changed to today's date, so somehow the computer is being commanded to do something with that file each day.

It seems to have something to do with something called "Million Dollar Traffic"

Edited by Mark Williams, 25 November 2007 - 12:48 AM.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
If you're still unsure if this could be malware or not, post your HJT log here and see if the Malware Experts can find anything. :)

Slikkie

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
If you know nothing about "MDT" or "Million Dollar Traffic" then delete it. It's obviously some advertsing thing that has put itself on your PC. If I we're you, i would just press the delete button...

Lol, you should try putting the words "MDT folder" into google and just for fun see how much private info you get! scary stuff....

Mark Williams

Mark Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I looked over the hijack this log line by line and could not find any references to MDT, or to Msettings.ini or Settings.ini I created a new Restore Point, then deleted the MDT folder. I rebooted, holding my breath. Everything went fine, and all seems ok after a full day of use and several shut downs and start ups. :)

I am closing this thread.

Edited by Mark Williams, 26 November 2007 - 09:44 AM.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Good stuff :)