Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Internet Options

• Please log in to reply

W1kpro

W1kpro

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi people,

I cant access my internet options, I do it via tools in my internet explorer (IE7 that is). I also tried accessing it via control panel its displayed in there well the icon is but there no writing ie. internet options underneath it.

When i click on internet options in either of these places it pops up for half a second or so then disappears.

I cant find it in regestry editer to enable it or disable it, if you can that is.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Nige

Edited by W1kpro, 23 November 2007 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Do you use spybot? I read somewhere that there's an option at spybot that locks up the internet option. (though it seems like this option at spybot can only be seen for older versions)

Also this could be a virus so can you try this and see what happens Malware Guide.

Edited by kamille316, 23 November 2007 - 04:07 PM.

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have had spybot in the past but i dont have it anymore, i got mcafree its not picking up anything

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Read thru these suggestions:

http://www.boutell.c...netoptions.html

* AVG Anti-Spyware - Free version if you don't purchase after the trial period
* SpyBot-Search & Destroy (Use the Immunize feature. I don't activate the TeaTimer which does provide realtime protection but has been problematic.)
* SUPERAntiSpyware - free version has no realtime protection but provides a useful scanner. See the below link for a comparison of the free and paid version
o http://www.superanti...efreevspro.html

Edited by latigid, 23 November 2007 - 07:51 PM.

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I sorted it didnt have anything to do with spybot but thanks for the advise. I thought i would post how to fix it if anybody else had the problem.

Firstly open My Computer, select Tools and then Folder Options, click the view tab and then select show hidden files and folders

(remember to go and change it back again afterwards)

The file you are looking for is: inetcpl.cpl

this is located: C:\Windows\ie7

the size and date of this file is: 350kb - 03 August 2004

you need to single click on this file and go to Edit and Copy

then go to this location: C:\Windows\System32 go to Edit and Paste you will get asked whether you want to replace the file, as

long as the file that you are replacing is larger in size then that is fine, you should then be ok in opening your internet options.

I think this is stemming from a Windows update as it seems to be happening to me daily at the moment, I think Microsoft must be sending us Vista stuff instead of XP or something. I do know it is not a virus or spyware as I run Panda and my system is totally clear of any virus, spyware or adware.