Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Probems

• Please log in to reply

hectorowns

hectorowns

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got a new computer its an hp pavillion and its running windows vista 32 bit. I have a video card from my old comp, an fx5200, which is a 256 mb one. It should work fine, but on the tester that was provided on this site, it says that my comp will meet the settings for almost any game, except that my video card is not good enough. The tester thing says it will need 128, but I only have 256. I fail to see how that work. I also recently learned that nVidia decided not to make drivers for my card for vista. i have the 96.85 but that doesnt work. Like the card works for older games like battlefield 1942, but there are some issues. Call of duty 4 will not let me even start the game. Says something about Alpha shaders. MY card is powerful enough, but are there any solutions on how to make it compatible on

Edited by hectorowns, 23 November 2007 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi hectorowns, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Unfortunately, your post is a little confusing. From what I can understand, though, you have a 256MB Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card. This is a very old card and should not work with most newer games, as you have found out with Call of Duty 4. Unfortunately, there's more to a graphics card than the amount of onboard RAM it has - newer graphics cards are much more efficient at processing than the older ones, as they include newer technological specifications (such as shaders).

From what I can tell, you are wishing to play the games Battlefield 1942 (for which the card does work) and Call of Duty 4. If this is the case, I strongly recommend you to look for an upgraded version graphics card. Even if you can't afford the latest and greatest, something like the Nvidia 7600GT or Radeon X1650 Pro should be a much better performance increase for you.

If I have misunderstood your post, can you please clarify a little further? I hope I've helped :)