Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helpp and Support Center feature in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

chitownart

chitownart

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi there, Geeks-to-Go! 1st time poster here. Names' Al.

Did a recent nececcary repair/reinstall of my WinXP Pro. Downloaded all Windows updates, and reloaded my few hardware/software programs. I've done this in just the past week.

Noticed today - being the 1st time I accessed it - that the Windows Help and Support Center will not load. When I click on the Help and Support link on the Start bar what I get is the Windows bell trill sound (2xs), the flashing hour glass, and then nothing else happens. I've checked under the Admin Tools/Services link & it shows it to be enabled/started/Automatic.

Can you tell me why it shows it to be enabled/started and yet doesn't appear to be working properly -- and how I can get it to?

BTW - I'm not an IT GEEK, but I'm not a total techno-nerd either -- you can give me info accordingly.

THNX much!

Al

Edited by chitownart, 23 November 2007 - 05:15 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi chitownart...

Sounds like the files weren't installed.

Click Start then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt, type the following command (Copy and Paste it if you can) and press "Enter".

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe" /F

If the file is missing, then open the C:\Windows\inf folder and locate the PCHealth.inf file (might show as PCHealth in Windows Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install". Insert the XP CD when prompted. Note: The folder is hidden by default. Click Start then Run and type in: control folders Under the "View" tab, find "Show hidden files and folders" and remove the tick next to "Hide extensions for known file types"...Apply the change.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey there, wannabe1, thanks for your response and help!

Followed your instructions, ran cmd line, & rcvd msg: The Operation completed successfully

On attempt to install PCH inf file it begins to copy files - (box)

"Copying Files..."

C:\WINDOWS\Inf\i386\dataspec.xml

2nd (box) pops up interrupting -

The file 'dataspec.xml' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed.

Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

Copy files from:
C:\WINDOWS\inf\i386

Process stops @ this point. I don't have a WXP Pro SP2 CD.

What now, please?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried opening Help and Support? The first command may have done the trick.

What kind of machine is this?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Yes, the 1st thing I did after running the cmd line was try to open H&S - still got the bell trill and hour glass but nothing else.

Now, when I try to open it I get another msg (box): Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

More suggestions?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr and press "Enter".

Open the "binaries" folder...do you see helpctr.exe in there? The icon should be a big question mark and should be near the top.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes, it's there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on it...does it open Help and Support?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
nope; still getting just the Windows trill bell and the hour glass, but nothing else.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on helpctr.exe and choose rename. Rename it helpctr.old and click in a clear area to set the change.

Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All". Extract the file to c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries

Try Help and Support from the Start Menu.

Attached File  helpctr.zip   310KB   159 downloads

Advertisements

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
done.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you try to open it from the Start menu?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes, still get the msg (box):

Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, etc...

If I r-click/open on the 'new' helpctr.exe file it gives me the Open File (w/security warning) box to Run. Should I do this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...see if it will run.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nope, won't run.

Something just occured to me. The original problem I had that necessitated reinstaling XP was missing/moved/corrupted NTLDRS. Could that be what's causing this file not to run even though it's actually here?

Edited by chitownart, 24 November 2007 - 12:24 AM.