Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helpp and Support Center feature in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you borrow an XP installation cd of the same version? What disk did you use to reinstall? That would be the ideal cd to use.

I don't think the NTLDR problem has any bearing on this,

Advertisements

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry I didn't get back to you last night - had to go to sleep and I'm on my way out the door for work now. My GF is here, and she can follow any further instructions, if available/need be.

My sys disks are Dell reinstallation OS and software disks, including SP1a. They are what I used to reinstall. That's all I have from when my system was upgraded by a tech friend a couple years ago. I've relocated since then and they/their help is no longer available to me. No one I can borrow from either. I also have my XP Product Key Code, if that's needed.

Edited by chitownart, 24 November 2007 - 12:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type sfc /scannow and click "Ok"...note the space after sfc. This will start a system file check...if you are prompted to insert the XP cd, insert the Dell Operating System cd and allow it to complete. Once this is finished, remove the cd and reboot.

Try to open Help and Support. Does it open?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
girlfriend here -

after running sfc /scannow, sys tells me it needs to copy some dll files and to insert XP CD, which i do. it then opens up the sys XP window giving me 4 botton choices:

Install Windows XP
Install optional Windows components
Perform additional tasks
Check system compatibility

which am i to click?

if i click the default option (Install Windows XP) is that going to overwrite the entire previous re-install operation Al just completed this past week, making it necessary to then redo all the MS updates, software installs & downloads etc, etc etc?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click on "Exit" in the lower left corner...it will resume the file check.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok. all done as instructed. unfortunately, still won't open. msg box:

Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.

did a search on all helpctr.exe finds. tried to open each that was applicable. is it possible the HSC app could show up as running in task manager but not be 'visible' for some reason?

i ask this because i know that IE7 causes some probs for certain HP printer all-in-ones Imaging Director to show up on screen, and when the alt spc bar is applied as a work-around, the max/min box can then be minimized, allowing the ID to show itself.

Al is running IE6 on this sys, but could something like that be happening?

Edited by chitownart, 24 November 2007 - 05:48 PM.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, ladies & gentlemen, thanks for playing, "Stump the Geek." :) :)

Seriously, though, I guess we've reached the point where it isn't known what to do next that hasn't already been tried?

I appreciate the time and effort you've already spent, wannabe1. Do you think I'll run into any real problems just living w/o the H&SC? I mean, is it integrated into other Windows programs, that being w/o it could cause a problem? I can't recall actually having used it much in the past 3 years. Maybe it will just have to be one of those Windows 'itches' I won't be able to scratch.

Edited by chitownart, 26 November 2007 - 07:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry...I didn't get my notification for the last reply.

When you did the repair install, did you do it as outlined in This Guide using your Dell Operating System disk?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
wannabe1, Your link goes to an Error 404; Page Not Found. got a better link?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try it now... :)

Advertisements

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I had previously read this entire thread, and yes, to the best of my ability & knowledge, I did the repair install correctly. the only thing that I've discovered isn't working is the Help & Support Center.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I didn't do the unregister/re-register Windows Auto Uptates stuff in the link, as I didn't think it necessary as once I'd done the reapir I took all the necessary time (much!) to do all the critical (and even any optional) updates that applied, until MS website confirmed there were no more updates to be had.

Edited by chitownart, 26 November 2007 - 09:39 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How are you with using Registry Editor?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Never done anything with it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's a first time for everything... :)

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". Registry Editor will open.

In the left frame, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then App Paths, and click on HELPCTR.EXE.

In the right frame, what is shown under the Data column for "Default"?