Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helpp and Support Center feature in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe

Edited by chitownart, 26 November 2007 - 11:54 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All"...extract it to your desktop. You should end up with a file named fixwinxphelp.vbs. Double click on that file to run it...accept all changes. It should tell you if it completes successfully.

Reboot and try Help.

Attached File  fixwinxphelp.zip   933bytes   153 downloads

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Did all that - still get the Windows cannot find helpctr.exe, blah, blah, blah msg.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Run the Repair install again using the guide I linked you to. Watch for any file copy errors and note the name of the files that fail if you see any. At the moment, I can see no reason why the Help and Support isn't working. All the settings are correct and you have a known good HelpCtr.exe in the right location.

Disconnect all external hardware while you run the repair.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Will running the repair again mean that i have to do all the Windows updates, etc again?

I only have my 2 monitors, my DSL modem and 1 printer - which I will disconnect. I presume the monitors and modem are not included in the instructions to discconnect? (Just checking in case there's something I don't know, but should understand.)

I won't be able to run the repair until tomorrow @ the earliest.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Also, should I delete any of the download files you gave me, and/or change back the helpctr.old (original .exe) file back to .exe prior to running the repair again?

Another thought. Would having 2 logon accounts on my PC be any reason the H&SC won't show itself? When I did the repair the 1st time I set up my PC so my GF could have her own account instead of using mine when she is here. It's the only thing I did differently from the original install.

I still won't be able to get to the re-repair install for a couple days, but I'd appreciate knowing these answers before I do.

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you'll have to do the updates again. Is SP2 among the updates you have to get or is that on your disk? If you have to download this one each time, I can point you to a download that you can burn to a cd...it'll save you a lot of download time in the future.

I'd set it up with one account. You can always add one for your girlfriend later...when you know you have a solid install.

Leave your modem connected so Windows can set up the network, but disconnect the printer and one of the monitors.

You can leave the helpctr.exe files as they are. The one I sent you is the same version...just known to be good when we were unsure about yours.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK, thanks, wannabe1.

No, I've only got Sp1a included on my reinstall disks, so would appreciate being given that link for a CD burn.

I sure wish this had gone right the 1st time, or we understood why it didn't. I'm not looking forward to doing this all over again so soon, especially, when it may be that the same thing will happen again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Service Pack 2 for IT Deployment

If it keeps going badly, we'll see if we can get a parallel install on there.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the link. GF or I will get to it asap.

Advertisements

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
A thought, wannabe1:

If I was to just leave it as is now, what, other than the inability to actually use the H&SC, would be the downside(s)?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hellooo? Anybody home to answer my most recent question? :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry. It seems I didn't get a few topic notifications.

If the machine is running ok, then the only downside would be that Help and Support won't work.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok. thanks for the answer, which is what I thought. Today is my day off, so I'm going to think about if I want to do this whole re-install all again.

Since I only have the Dell re-install disks, is it possible for me to do a complete hd reformat and install, as though the OS were brand new?

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
H&S does seem to be the only thing not working properly. In fact, the whole sys is running much faster than it was before, as i was having terrible dragging with IE7, and I've now got IE6 back.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.