Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Helpp and Support Center feature in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
this q must have got lost in the email notification black hole:

"Since I only have the Dell re-install disks, is it possible for me to do a complete hd reformat and install, as though the OS were brand new?"

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, it is. On Dells, I believe you can start a recovery by pressing F11 during startup (On the Dell screen with the loading bar)...if memory serves, you need to have the operating system disk in the drive when you do this.

It should put things back to the way it was from the factory.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for all the info -- I still haven't had enough off time to follow through, so i'd appreciate a few more days for this thread to remain up.

chitownart

chitownart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
One other thing. I'm curious to understand why you had me download the SP2 for IT Deployment? Isn't that just for networked computers?

I did download it to disk as you instructed, but now, I noticed that it's icon has changed on the disk. Why would it do that? Did I do something wrong, and do I need to do it again?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The IT Deployment version of SP2 will save you having to download the service pack again should you run into problems in the future. All you'll need to do is pop the cd into the drive and double click on the file to start the installation. A real time saver for those who have original release or SP1 versions of XP on cd. It sounds like you've done it correctly.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
(hi there, wannabe1! gf here, again) wow! that's great! good to know and understand.

is there a way to get to this thread after you've archived it? since Al began all this inquiry here, his work schedule has changed dramatically, leaving him no time to follow through. i can do it all for him, but won't be able to either for another month.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The topic won't be archived, it will simply fade away to the depths of the forum. If you PM me when you are ready to start working on this again, I'll dig it up for you.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, then, that's what i'll do. thanks again so much for your time and help. we both really appreciate it!!