Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Find BIOS features to install >6GB HD

• Please log in to reply

U4EA

U4EA

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Dear All,

Got a problem and looking for your expertise if you don't mind...
My hard drive type Quantum Fireball EX6.4A - LBA, UDMA 2, 6.449 MB
is about to die. I would like to replace it with a drive of the same size and type
but... if possible i'd like to install a bigger hard disk. However i don't know
what drive sizes are supported by my current BIOS. My instinct tells me
that flashing the BIOS would probably be the best solution to install a bigger drive.

This is my current BIOS: (scanned by www.award-bios.com )

Computer name: C-3PO (Intel Pentium 2 - 333 Mhz)
Your Ticket #: 45ZYJRH
BIOS Type: Award
BIOS Date: July 10th 1998
BIOS ID: 07/10/1998-i440BX-W83977-2A69KA1EC-FL
BIOS OEM: GREEN AGP/PCI/ISA SYSTEM
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 2
SuperIO: Winbond 977F/AF rev 0 at port 03F0
Manufacturer: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Motherboard: Unknown (Is an Abit AB-BH6)
Maximum Memory: UnknownMB (Is 64 MB)
Installed Memory: UnknownMB (Is 64 MB)

My questions are the following ones: How can i see if my current BIOS can be flashed? How or where
can i find the features of my current BIOS so i can see wich maximal hard drive size it supports?
How can i find the most recent version of my BIOS (on www.award-bios.com are so many of them
i don't know wich to choose...) and where can i find the features of a new BIOS so i can check first
the maximal hard disk size supported? I visited mainboard manufacturer Abit (www.abit.com)
this site redirects you to www.award-bios.com where an upgrade can be bought for 30 USD...
I'd prefer a free upgrade if possible

Thanks for your support,

U4EA

Finagle's Eighth Rule:
Teamwork is essential. It allows you to blame someone else

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The old Intel 440BX chipset was able to see hard drives up to 32Gb in size. You can buy bigger drives but you must check that they have a jumper that you can use to limit the size to 32Gb, otherwise the board may not see it.

Because of the age of this technology a BIOS upgrade is probably not going to happen. However I Have seen internet posts that state this board is able to see up to 137Gb Hard Drive space. Not quite sure how this is bearing in mind my old Intel 440BX chipset couldn't see anything after 32Gb but there you go...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I've used ide add on cards to install bigger hard drives. They use their own onboard bios controller to supplement the systems bios.