Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Boot into Windows XP SInce reinstalling IE7

• Please log in to reply

troubled_timbo

troubled_timbo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a DELL 4600 running Windows XP SP2. I was having problems with IE 7 displaying certain web sites that would display on another system running IE 6 so I decided to reinstall IE 7. After the IE 7 reinstalled and it prompted me to reboot, the system seemed to hang at the Windows XP screen where the line across the screen moves during initial start up. I performed a cold shutdown by holding the power button until the system shut down and then when I powered up it prompted me to go into safe mode. I was able to go into safe mode with networking.

During the intitial startup an error flashed across the screen stating "Error allocating IRQ for PCI device".

After going into Safe Mode, I selected control panel - system- hardware-device manager -other devices - SCSI Controller and discovered that this device is configured properly. I tried to delete this device driver and then let plug and play work its magic but after rebooting Windows still hangs.

Please help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi troubled_timbo

The error means that the system has failed to configure an integrated on-board device propely. What is the bus number and device number? (The numbers just before the error, e.g "bb/dd/f: Error allocating IRQ for PCI Device").

We need to figure out which device this is, disable it temporarily, and see if Windows boots normally.

Slikkie :)

Edited by Slikkie, 24 November 2007 - 09:06 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What pci cards are you having? If you have any, and if you have an empty pci slot, try to move the card to another slot and reboot.

Regarding IE7: many problems are reported in connection with this program. If you can boot in safe mode go to control panel > add/remove program and uninstall IE7. This will roll you back to IE6.

troubled_timbo

troubled_timbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Godo Morning,

I am able to boot back into Windows in Normal Mode again. I attempted to perform a system restore to several days back which was successful (according to Windows) but did not resolve my problem.

I then went into MSCONFIG and changed th startup selection to "Diagnostic Startup-Load basic devices and services only" The system attempted to reboot and still had the same problem with the PCI message. I then went back into MSCONFIG and changed it backed to Normal Startup. The hard drive appeared to generate alot of activity and then then it restarted fine with no errors.

On one of the replies you mention the steps to remove IE 7 so that the system reverts to IE 6. IS that a recommended solution to address the situation whereby some web pages will not display?

I have several systems and on the other two systems web pages will display normally (one runnig IE 6 and one running IE 7 - both running WIndows XP SP2). I thought that by re-installing IE 7 I could address this problem.

I thought that it was a security configuration issue but it appears to be configured the same way on both IE 7 systems.

I have never reinstalled the OS for the 4 years that I have had this system. Would you recommend re-installing the OS?

Thanks for the adice regarding my initial issues but no further information is avaiable since it is no longer happening. In the future - the message passed by so fast it was hard to capture any information. Would it be possible to go to some log to retireve the desired information?