Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem copying files with linux

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
got a clients hard drives...he wants to get copies of his data off his drives...windows "see's" the drive that contained the operating system and all the data on that drive has been copied to dvds...the second drive ..a 320 gig sata drive .. does not show up in "my computer" but does in the device manager...its listed as foreign :) and the data is inaccessible
so I booted with puppy linux...the sata drive does not show up at all...
then booted with ubuntu ...it "see's " the sata drive and all the data on there( 36 gigs of data) the problem is when I try to copy the data to another usb external drive or burn to dvds I get a error message saying I don't have permission...
the same thing with knoppix...it see's the data but won't let me copy or burn the data ...
the thing is ..both knoppix and ubuntu let me read the data...just can't copy or burn it
any help will be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Have you determined where the problem is, reading the data or writing the data? If you can "cat" the file, then you would be able to read the files.

Are you running as "root"? Knoppix normally logs in as normal user, then you need to "su" to root.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I can read all the data as user...just can't burn or copy or move the data
I will try again running as root...

Edited by happyrck, 24 November 2007 - 01:01 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
problem solved...you have to use ntfs-3g to WRITE to a ntfs partition.
sorry for the late reply but I got puppy linux 2.17 and it let me copy the files right out of the box so I didn't get to try your possible fix...I do want to thank you for taking the time to post a possible solution...

Edited by happyrck, 26 November 2007 - 10:58 AM.