Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing up te whole hard drive on a DVD?

• Please log in to reply

chap10

chap10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have several programs that I have purchased over the years. I would like to back them up on a DVD so that if my PC ever crashes I will be able to download then again on a new PC. I can't find a backup button in system tools. My son told me to use a DVD. He said that I can back my whole computor up on one DVD and that it would maybe take five CD's to backup the same amount of information.

Thanks chap10

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Welcome to geeks to go. It is great to see that someone is taking a proactive approach to " what if my computer crashes"?

An installed program on a computer can not be backed up. You may make copies of the original CD, or if it is a downloaded program, you may copy it to the CD/dvd.

As for backups. Are you trying to backup the "entire" hard drive? or just the data/ music/ pictures.

The backup is in system tools/ backup.
There are mutiple ways to backup a computer. Anything from cloning to ghosting an image. I use syncback (free), and also Norton ghost.

Please give us some more info as to what you are attempting so we may furthur help/ recommend.

chap10

chap10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Welcome to geeks to go. It is great to see that someone is taking a proactive approach to " what if my computer crashes"?

An installed program on a computer can not be backed up. You may make copies of the original CD, or if it is a downloaded program, you may copy it to the CD/dvd.

As for backups. Are you trying to backup the "entire" hard drive? or just the data/ music/ pictures.

The backup is in system tools/ backup.
There are mutiple ways to backup a computer. Anything from cloning to ghosting an image. I use syncback (free), and also Norton ghost.

Please give us some more info as to what you are attempting so we may furthur help/ recommend.

Thanks for your quick response! Most of the programs were downloaded. Some of them have key codes to open them up. I have key codes in folders at a couple locations in folders. That's why I thought that I need to copy my whole hard drive. chap10

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If they are downloaded programs they contain the executible and they can be copied to the dvd. I do that, and also I add a "readme" file to the dvd that contains specific/ odd instructions and also the key code.