Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP doesnot play clips anymore!

• Please log in to reply

samadbak

samadbak

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For the last two weeks my windows media player has been unable to play any clips, or streaming clips. I upgraded it two days ago to WMP 11 for WMP 10, and I did upgrade my IE6 to IE7 last month. It says:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file

I downloaded codecs, cleared cache and trued a million other things suggested on the internet but to no avail. I am able to save the clips though and run them using DivX.

Can someone help me please?

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
A better alternative is to use VLC Media Player, Media Player Classic or XMPlay. These standalone players have most of the codecs (if not all) and they're far better to use than Windows Media Player.

~Kelvin

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

For the last two weeks my windows media player has been unable to play any clips, or streaming clips. I upgraded it two days ago to WMP 11 for WMP 10, and I did upgrade my IE6 to IE7 last month. It says:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file

I downloaded codecs, cleared cache and trued a million other things suggested on the internet but to no avail. I am able to save the clips though and run them using DivX.

Can someone help me please?

Uncannily, I have exactly the same problem! I recently downloaded some software to watch Satellite TV on my PC, and neither Windows Media Player, Real Player nor Quick Time is able to play the films I download (in MPEG4). Clips from my phone that I backed up on to the PC also cannot be played (although I had no problem in the past). I don't understand how this can happen all of a sudden. It seems the .avi files are ok. What's going on?

I shall try the other applications suggested by Kelvin. But this is very strange.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Uncannily, I have exactly the same problem! I recently downloaded some software to watch Satellite TV on my PC, and neither Windows Media Player, Real Player nor Quick Time is able to play the films I download (in MPEG4). Clips from my phone that I backed up on to the PC also cannot be played (although I had no problem in the past). I don't understand how this can happen all of a sudden. It seems the .avi files are ok. What's going on?

I shall try the other applications suggested by Kelvin. But this is very strange.

Mrblue, please start a new topic so I can help you out. Thank you.

~Kelvin