Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton..The Windows XP Destroyer?

• Please log in to reply

ooshie

ooshie

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I Can't think of any other way to put it, I'm missing stuff.
I just did a reformat, fresh install of XP media edition. Even though I was told Norton kinda sucks, I had a free copy (2006 internet security) lying around. So I installed it. Somthing prevented it from completing the install, so I downloaded 2007 because the Norton website said I could use my 2006 product key for it. 2007 wouldn't complete the install either, so I uninstalled it and INSTALLED AVG.

However, before I installed AVG (so I know it's not the problem) I noticed that my Windows Search was gone. When I say gone I mean the frame will come up on the left with the little search companion in it, but none of the search boxes are there. Just a blank frame with a grey backround and a stupid little puppy that does nothing but scratch it's head.

That's not the end of it. I opened my control panel>>User accounts and that's gone to. Just a back, foward, and home button. The window is blank with a white backgound. Then I went to look this up on the net. My home page is my website. I noticed that my google adwords banners were gone, and some other Java based things. I also noticed that I couln't view some video's that are based on flash player. I tried to download flash player and it wouldn't let me, I click the download button and nothing happens.

I tried to change some setting in the internet options to no avail. Besides, that wouldn't explain the search box and the users window...or would it?
What's the problem here? Honestly I would just do a new fresh install since I only did it a few days ago, but I just got done setting evrything up the way I like it, and got all my programs installed.
This is confusing me very much.

Edited by ooshie, 24 November 2007 - 04:39 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would suggest trying the "how to remove Norton" guide at http://www.geekstogo...are-t43188.html

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks..but It didn't work. I noticed that it made my computer run a little better, but everything from my origional post is still wrong. What's weird is that I just went back to the flash player site and its telling me that flash player version 9,0,47,0 is installed successfully, but I still can't view any flash based video's on the net.

ooshie

ooshie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
omg, I can't even read some e-mails. I signed up to another forum to see if they could help and I can't verify my e-mail address..
Grrrrr..please help.
I downloaded the new version of javascript but that didn't help.