Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cursor Jumps through the options... and never stops

• Please log in to reply

theplunger

theplunger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm helping my aunt by trying to fix her computer. She has a laptop Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP Home.

The problem is the cursor in any given list goes through the list very fast. ...as if someone is pressing the up, down , right, or left buttons and not letting off. I can move the mouse arrow fine; however, when I go to click on "OK" or "Cancel" , for example, something is making it jump back and forth.

First thing I tried... I looked to see if the arrow buttons were stuck. On this laptop, it's hard to see. But, I think they are not stuck.

Second thing I tried... Under "Mouse Properties" I have disable the mouse on the laptop and rebooted. I now use a wireless USB mouse on it. The problem didn't go away.

I'm not sure what to do next. I can't think of it being a software issue. I had just reformatted about a week before this started happening. I want to do everything I can short of taking it apart. ...because it looks like I would have to take it apart from the bottom!!! Another clue is that it makes this horrible beeping while booting up. It wont stop until windows comes on.
I also tried to go in the bios and turn off the mouse that was before I found it in windows. I had no luck finding it. It didn't matter because in was so hard to navigate. ...it being a list and the highlight moving about at a high speed.

I sure hope I could get some help on this thing before I tear into it.

Thanks for any help. :)

Update: If I press and hold the "scroll" key, everything is fine and seems to work normal.

Edited by theplunger, 24 November 2007 - 04:38 PM.

Advertisements