Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Idea for extra computer?

• Please log in to reply

Fortunas

Fortunas

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
So I have an 8 year old Dell XPS lying in my basement, and I figured what the heck, put it to some use.
Im just interested in some creative ideas to use this thing, with minimal tearing/modding it.
I have my primary workstation, and second computer running XP, so another Windows box doesn't really excite me.
Ill have to check the specs of the system and post those, but for now, any ideas would be great!
Thanks.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
since you mention that another xp platform is out, why not try a linux platform, I have various old laptops all running on linux, and it is great for someone who wants stability and no malware, doesn't cost anything too beyond the price of burning the CD. OK I don't know your specs but I am running kubuntu linux on 6gb, 256ram laptop and am very happy with it since I have VLC, firefox, mp3 stream, openoffice, etc., good luck then

Fortunas

Fortunas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the post flea.
I have thought about linux, and that is still a possibility. Any other uses as a standalone box, such as maybe a fileserver, or Unified Threat Management box?

And here are the Specs:
Dell XPS T500
PIII 500mhz
256 MB of ram
Nvidia TNT graphics card
40 gb HDD
CRT monitor.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like you should set it up as a gaming rig! Load Windows 98 on it and fire up Duke Nukem 3D :)

Oh man, those were the days :)

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I agree with fleamailman.

Linux has basically all the software for basically everything you could ever want. There are several versions, but you can get the latest and most popular version from here.